Thanks, Dan Miller

Larry Meyer

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
The Norumbega Chapter had its winter meeting yesterday and I’m sure I speak for all in thanking Dan Miller, in his capacity as a WCHA Board member, for trekking all the way from the environs of Albany to the wilds of Westwood, Mass to festoon our festivities. This was the first time we’ve been honored with such a visitation from the organizational power elite. The scope of our deliberations does not admit easy summation. Fitz scooped the annual chapter award (I think the fix was in, but never mind.) Certain chapter notables and worthies were conspicuously absent: we took our revenge by volunteering them for all sorts of heroic (and really boring) tasks. For our amusement, Ed Howard glued small blocks of wood together (see what you missed?) and displayed a birchbark canoe he’d just acquired. We revisited the great epoxy vs. TII debate and pondered ways of increasing chapter membership (maybe gluing LOTS of small wood block together.)

Thanks from all of us to Steve Lapey, who is keeping a firm grip on this chapter and inspiring us all.

FIX! you say?

FIX!! That Grand Portage Award was earned with nothing but pure blood, sweat and tears!!;)

Somewhere, I have a picture of me on the portage with my Prospector as a hat, but I can't seem to find it. So, here is a picture of me at the end of the same portage with yet a longer and heavier canoe!! PROOF, and I'm even still smiling!!

I did however give my prize of the Grand Portage award to my son, age 8, who lugged his share of the gear over the 1.25 miles of Maine. Not to mention and I hate to admit that I may not be worthy. I slipped and fell butt over teakettle twice while juggling said Prospector.:mad: :eek: Not exactly the form of Voyageurs of ages past.:eek:

Yes, thanks Dan for adding so well to the winter meeting. I hope it was worth your drive.

Next time I should at least be polite and throw in an elbow bending session, but it wasn't in the stars this week..:mad:

Attachments

• FitzPortage.jpg
    FitzPortage.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 424
  • Carry.jpg
    Carry.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Ya know, I think that is the first time in history that the words "Dan Miller" and "elite" have ever been uttered in connection with one another!:eek:

Now I know the fix was in! Look at that photo! All I heard was stories of rain, clouds of black flies, and thigh deep mud on the portage trail. And what does the photo show! Bright sunshine, a clean white sweatshirt (no sweat ringed armpits even), and you’re smiling. You don’t even have a pack on.

So where’d you guys really go, huh?

Back