Taper of Center Rib

Ankle Deep

Curious about Wooden Canoes
All:
I'm new to the forum. I have completed the building of a form for a 15.5 foot canoe, installed the stems and inwales. I'm searching for rib stock and thinking ahead about producing the ribs. I understand the concept of placing a taper on the trailing edge of the ribs to reduce the "optics" of the rib cant....but I'm unsure how to deal with the center rib.

How is this typically handled? Taper or no taper?

Thanks in advance for the help....

Ankle,

I am in the same situation. I made a center rib with a taper on both edges, leaving the width of the rip top the same as the rest of the ribs.

Matt

Matt:
Thanks for the good advice. I was leaning in that direction ...it makes sense!

Other members.... Is this the typical procedure for the center rib? What do others do?

Hope everyone is having a sunny Easter Sunday

Consarn it!... I lose, I have an odd number of ribs...guess I gotta burn the form and start over

Reactions: MGC
I’ll mix it up... The center rib on the 20’ EM White I’m working on is tapered one way on one side and the other way on the other side. I had to replace it and duplicated the ‘opposing’ tapers.

Hi Nick:
That's the direction I'm going ..... good to know Mr White approves

Thanks for the helpful reinforcement

Ankle,

When re-reading my post I realized it could be miss interpreted... the tapers are opposite on either side of the canoe at each rib tip. The port side rib tip is tapered on the edge closest to the stern only and the starboard rib tip is tapered on the edge closest to the bow only. Each tip is only tapered on one edge of the rib tip each. Sorry for any confusion.

Back