Stripping paint from inside of canoe

ThomasRodCo

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I purchased a 1935 HW that had the entire interior painted brown.
Can paint stripper be used to remove the paint with the canvas still on?
The canvas isn't in bad shape, so I'd like to leave it on if possible?
thanks

Thomas,
The stripper will likely seep through the planking seams and compromise the filler and paint on the canvas.
Canvas stretching is not that difficult. Being a Mainer, there are likely many WCHA members that would be willing to help.

Dave is correct, the canvas will have to come off. This is by far the worse part of restorations and paint makes it worse. Most likely a outdoor project with the garden hosed used. After removing 95% of the gunk by putty knife I recommend using red scotch brite pads to clean the remaining old finish out of the hard to reach places. After that a 2 part teak cleaner ( acid ) is generally used to clean out the remaining residue and brighten the wood a bit.

I was afraid of that... Oh well, I'm hoping I can get it in usable condition without pulling the canvas off. If so, I am just going to sand the gunwales, decks, seat and twarts for now, and leave the painted interior until it needs re-canvasing. I make bamboo fly rods, so time I don't have tons of time I can dedicate to getting this back on the water, unfortunately..
I'm taking it up to Jerry Stelmock this morning for an evaluation. I know also it needs some new bedding compound around the brass bands, and exterior paint as well. Wish me luck!
Thanks
Steve

Back