Staples

shelldrake

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello all. I'm having a heck of a time finding 9/16" stainless staples for a canvas job. I have plenty of 1/2" that completely penetrate the planking and rib, but not the inwale.

Thoughts on using 1/2", or sources of 9/16"?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Norm, but unless I missed something, I don't see any stainless or Monel 9/16" in that list. Don't want to use plain steel.

for some reason, they are uncommon. Stanley supposedly makes them, but when I ordered them on Amazon, I received the plain steel version. Frustrating......

Looks like 9/16” stainless staples are now unobtainium. Like so much other good marine fasteners and goops.

Many years ago I examined the staples that Old town used fastening the canvas to the hull. if I remember correctly, which is always suspect, OT used 3/8"along the gunnel and 1/4" on the stems. It made no sense to me to use two different length staples, so I have used 3/8" stainless staples for everything, for a long time. Ace hardware can order them, or they are available on line.

Thanks Gil. I used 1/2" on my last canvas job and as far as I know, they are working just fine.

Back