Son of "Pal"

greatlakes

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I haven’t posted here for a while and thought this may be of interest to some.

Over the years I’ve built two 16-foot “Pals” using Alex Comb’s plans. Eventually, my grand plan evolved to build one for each of my three grandsons. Well, the first two boys had been taken care of.

A couple of years ago I took out the 3-foot center section of the form and converted it for a 13’ light-weight solo.

First try was to cover it with aircraft grade Dacron fabric. Finished weight was 38#. I liked it. All went well until blisters started to show after fill, prime, and paint. The blisters would not relent. I put it in the water to set the seat location and it paddled well, albeit a hair “rocky” for an adult. It sure helps to keep the CG low. The StewartSystem folks had changed their procedure from glueing only the edges of the Dacron to applying to the full footprint of the fabric. I had my concerns to subjecting the planking to a full glue up. So, I decided to remove Dacron and recover it with #12 canvas. The finished weight of the canvas-covered one is 42#.

I’m planning on returning the form to its original 16’ Pal and perhaps building another – this one, FOR MYSELF, maybe my last; maybe full-glued Dacron?? The fun never ends.

Here are two of my grandsons testing the 13-footer.

Stay healthy.

Frank

Grandson, Jack (12), with the new owner, Josh (6)

Canoe_2.jpg

Back