some old paddles and oars

brishen870

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I came across a few old paddles and oars and was wondering if anyone might know anything about them? Age, style and maybe who made them where? The matching set of oars are about 6 and a half feet long and have draw shave markings but are painted? Seems strange to paint them before they were finished. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 635
More photos

Second round of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 525
3rd set of photos

Third set of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 564
The paddle on the right with some remaining varnish could be from the Old Town Canoe Company in Old Town, Maine. These didn't change much during most of the 1900s. The long painted oars look home made.

Benson

Yes, the one on the far right looks like a spruce Old Town (see third and fourth from the right below). The other paddle, not so much, but it's hard to say for sure. The pair of oars seem too crude to have been factory made (those handles would destroy your hands). The shorter one might have been professionally built and has more typical tapers to it.

Attachments

• paddles.jpg
    paddles.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 695
Mine in the far right kind of resembles the one you have in that photo 3rd from the left Todd. Mine has a somewhat thick shaft and a more rounded or blunt blade tip such as yours does. The 3th from the right in your photo appear to have thin handles and a more pointy tip. Your middle one does seem to have the same blade shape. Upon further inspection of the other paddle that I have without the varnish I found a small hole in the center of the palm grip. It looks like a mark from a lathe. Right beside the hole is a stamped B. Would B have been the initial of a manufacturer maybe?

Last edited:
I believe that Todd intended to say the third and fourth from the left in his image. The pictures below shows several Old Town paddles from over the years (excluding the three with a red "X" on the blade) and a few of them making paddles in the factory. The paddles made in Old Town, Maine were sanded on a drum by hand and not turned on a lathe.

Attachments

• paddles.jpg
    paddles.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 582
  • paddle.jpg
    paddle.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 556
  • Paddles3.jpg
    Paddles3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 566
  • paddles2.jpg
    paddles2.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 667
Last edited:
3rd and 4th from the left makes sense. Those are great old photos. Really neat to see a old working shop. Mine is definitely lacking any of the tell tale signs of a lathe.

I believe that Todd intended to say the third and fourth from the left in his image.

Yep....I got my dyslexia mixed up.........

The third from the right is a very old maple paddle that I have never been able to identify, but whoever made it was really good and seems to have had training as a spar maker, judging by the rolling eight-siding up top and through the grip area. Here it is on the right, next to a spruce Old Town from the early 1970s. You can see how much more hardwood paddles can be thinned out because the wood is tougher. This allows the weight and balance to be kept within reason, despite using denser woods like ash and maple. Unfortunately, an awful lot of the current makers of even high-end traditional paddles don't seem to have a very good grasp of these principles. There are plenty of fancy paddles out there that are gorgeous examples of woodworking, but which have terrible balance as canoe paddles.

Attachments

• paddles-01a.jpg
    paddles-01a.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 534
I agree. My Old Town paddle feels thick and clumsy compared to two other very old maple paddles that I also own. Not only do the thinner maple ones look better they work very nicely. Great balance. Move well through the water. In my humble option the more square heads for white water or short races look awful and are useless for a long day on a flat body of water. The laminate ones with several types of wood look the worst. Way too modern looking or whatever. Some of the prices are ridiculous for the laminate one also. I guess I am a traditionalist at heart. A old guy trapped in a middle aged body if you will.

IMG_2413.jpgIMG_2413.jpgIMG_2414.jpgA few more paddles that I found. Plus an oar that I am wondering about. Might it belong with my Rushton Iowa?IMG_2411.jpg

Rushton Oar?

Does this look like it may belong to a Rushton Iowa? Its about 8 foot long. IMG_2403.jpgIMG_2404.jpgIMG_2407.jpg

Last edited:
Back