So where is this global warming they keep talking about?

davelanthier

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
We have experienced one of the worst spring and summer seasons on record. Cold, wind and rain were the norm. Last year wasn't much better. Granted there were a few nice days but only, it seems, when I couldn't get out canoeing. Yesterday I fall colors 2011 029.jpgfall colors 2011 030.jpgfall colors 2011 033.jpgwent to one of my favorite lakes only to find snow. I really would like to have a talk with these global warming experts.

The semi-permanent high that should have been on the Pacific coast was instead over central North America giving the greater part of the continent hot and dry conditions. The Pacific NW is a small region usually of opposite weather from the greater continent. There is no Gulf Stream in the Pacific.
Studied meteorology Oregon State University.

So are you two the experts I need to have a talk with and, if so, Rob when can I expect some "ups"?

Hello Dave, it has been a long time since I was last in Kamloops. more than 20 years. I googled global warming and the Pacific NW and affirmed the absence of that semi permanent high is your problem. Without it, even inland where you are, you get a maritime climate. It did find mention of more severe winters in the artic region while further south the snow pack diminishes. Water in Vancouver and Seattle is largly snow pack fed and that is diminishing. Where you are it may be a toss up. You may get more sunny days in winter but they will be cold. But at the same time more alpine lakes will be available at earlier dates. Global warming is a disruption of expected weather patterns with the bulk of attention given to the vast farming regions from Hudson Bay to the Carribean. They indeed have warming and less water.
In my Washington home I have a micro hydro power system. It has been over 20 years since the summer went without rain for so long my creek would dry up. So for the micro hydro people, we are doing fine. That is small consulation when you are trying to put up hay and can't get a break in the weather.
There is a silver lining somewhere. May be hard to find but change is the key word. We are a species that adapts. Next time I drive transcontinental I need to take Canada Hwy 1. I'll stop and see you. Maybe I'll find a Chesnut or Peterborough to fix up.

Never mind the weather.Wheres the pictures of those world famous"Kamloops Trout" we always hear about!!
Dan'l

Back