Size of Old Town decks

Michaux Hiker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Can anybody supply me the length dimensions of OT decks? Canoe is a 1923 HW. The old decks I ripped/ fell off are not original so I have nothing to go by. Just picked up deck boards today and wanted to start in the next few days. Finished 3 coats of varnish on the inside of the canoe and probably will add two more matte coats before installing the decks.

Wanted to upload a photo but they are too large. Any secrets to get them smaller?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about a 1923 but the catalog that I bought for my 1968 OTCA states that they are 16".

Yes, I've got a 1923 HW here in the shop, 16 overall 14 from the inside of the cut out to the tip. I just right click on the photo and click edit then resize and make sure you save it. But I'm not to good with computer stuff. So you have to resize it before you upload it here.

Thanks. I was just measuring but now I'm not sure if my carrying handles will fit. May have to make new as they may be not long enough. Do you know how close they are to the inside cut of the deck? Still working on pictures....

You also might be able to get an idea by looking at the inside edge of the inside gunwale. There most likely is a shadow on the wood where the deck was sitting. Since this area would be protected from the elements it should not wear like the exposed portion and show up as a different color.

I put on new gunwales which was a job in itself with nothing to go by. Not really confident on the locations since the decks were almost gone as some of the inside gunwale and no thwarts were on the canoe as well. From pictures the handles seem fairly close, just enough to get my big mitts on it.

Yup, From the inside cutout of the deck to the center of the carry handle 4'' IMG_4095.JPG

Thanks. That will help me whether I need to make new handles. Canning seats this afternoon as its 99 degrees outside, basement 65.

A comment - note that the shape of the OT decks have changed over the years, so find one of the correct year to copy.
I think the one David shows is the correct version,
and 2, how are you going to bend your new wood?
IIRC they are bent both lengthwise and widthwise(?).

Dan

Both ends are flatter than probably the original was so not sure yet how much of a bend I will have if any. When I got the canoe both ends did not have a flare at the ends. Guess over the years with repairs and such it lost much of its original shape.

I know its not historically correct , but cutting the curve witch would be steam bent ,on the bandsaw. It has to be a thick block of wood. and using a drawknife or spokeshave to finish them up works nice. Yes you will see some endgrain that way in the deck a little, depending on your wood. Once their stained and varnished they still look great. 100_2192.jpg

How do folks recommend to make the decks? If I understand it correctly they are bent in two directions. Any good tips?

David, That only works with "end" grain, and often decks are "face" grain.

James, To bend a deck you need to make a set of "die's", to put the deck in after steaming.
Read Jerry/Rollin's book and maybe Jerry's about Joe Seliga for examples of this.

16” and 20” decks are available for purchase from Jerry Stelmok at Island Falls Canoe.
They are pre-bent and cut to original dimensions.
I generally purchase them for my restorations if I can’t save the original decks, as I do not have a press to bend them with.
If you are “bent” on making your own, they can be made without bending. You need to cut out a deck about 1 1/2” thick, install it proud of the inwales and sand, grind, shave, saw, rout, chisel, and rasp, it down to size.

I once did a deck replacement on somebody’s stripper with a thick deck and actually roughed the curved shape in with a chain saw.
All that said, I just usually buy them from Jerry.

Reactions: MGC
Dave , that's what I do sometimes. Like I meant instead of leaving it proud I put the block of wood on it's side, while it's still square and cut that curve on the bandsaw. Then cut the triangle shape. your band saw has to cut at least 6 or 7 inches in height cause most decks are that width. Then you can shape and round the top off.

I recently bent a cherry board after soaking it for a week+, steaming for an hour, placing it between two blocks of oak cut to the proper curvature, placed it underneath the truck, and "raised the truck" with a hydraulic jack, just like changing a tire. The truck weighs 5 tons, so around one ton of weight was on the block. After 3-4 days I took it out and clamped it in place for another couple weeks while it dried. Put the crown on it by belt sanding the edges, plus took a bit out from underneath, just as had been done in 1912. Worked, and looks nice. Tom McCloud

Back