Signs of Spring?

Wood ducks & common loons seem to be stalled in their northward migrations. Oh darn, we get to see them for more than 30 seconds this year... :)

Cormorants arrived. Saw one with a long grass stem in its beak, flying away to somewhere... nest-building? Sure hope so...

Ice fishing in a t-shirt with the Ferdinator! Geese, robins, herons, and sandhill cranes! The war against the savage winter is starting to wind down in the Northwoods. Spring is eminent!!:D

Attachments

• Little_Arb_08_009[1].JPG
    Little_Arb_08_009[1].JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 491
Great study in contrasts! I'm envious. Spring is full throttle in Missouri but we have yet to get near a lake.

Okay, that does it....
I work for a large company, on a large (~2 sq. mi.) campus. Every spring, they spend a lot of money on landscaping, including spreading fresh mulch around everywhere. It gets delivered by dump truck, and is left in large piles all around the campus, for the landscape workers to spread by hand. The mulch arrived today, and you can smell it composting all the way up to the 4th floor, where I work.

THAT makes it official... NOW it's spring!

I have been in Atlanta all week which was is one of the reasons that I have been slow to respond to messages here recently. It is nice to see everything in bloom here now but hard to be going back to Maine today where there are still several feet of snow in my back yard.

Benson

Well, back in south Florida, "Spring", if that's what you want to call it, occurs in January- the oaks don't drop their leaves so much as the new ones push the old leaves off the branch tips!

So we've left the gathering summer and headed out to Arizona this week, and found Spring! We've been hiking through the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix where the cacti, ocotillo, and creosote are in full bloom, and the nights are crisp (cold by our FL standards!). Not many opportunities for canoeing, but we found a gila monster and some rattlesnakes these last few days- fantastic!

Michael

Better than frozen toenails

Here in Parry Sound;Lakes are frozen.Creeks in flood.Lots of snow still in the bush but Spring Birds like Robins and Red Wing Blackbirds and Geese are back.My driveway is 6 inches of mire and 5 months of dog poop .Snowing today.Ah Spring!
John

Sping here with Robins and Fox Sparrows and 8 inches more of heavy wet snow last night. Third storm this month. Ah! Sping in the U.P.
Denis :D

Horned grebes on the lake today, and still the loon is hanging around. Tree swallows arrived as well, and are being VERY territotial about nest boxes that the Forest Preserve District put up over the winter.

Drips

Once again it's time to sit out in the woods and watch the sap drip from the maple trees. Warm days and cool nights makes it happen here in the Northwoods:cool:

Attachments

• Drip from Tap.jpg
    Drip from Tap.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 446
There is enough snow gone at lower elevations that a person can poke around a little bit.Found one of these,will have to wait for more snow to go to look for the other side

and believe it or not one of these ! 3 nestlings in there
Dan'l

Attachments

• matt's bday 013.jpg
    matt's bday 013.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 487
  • matt's bday 011.jpg
    matt's bday 011.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 476
dboles said:
There is enough snow gone at lower elevations that a person can poke around a little bit.Found one of these,will have to wait for more snow to go to look for the other side

and believe it or not one of these ! 3 nestlings in there
Dan'l

Nice find:cool:

Great pictures

Thanks to all who have posted pictures... most are very uplifting!

I especially loved the little birds-- thanks!

Kathy

Back