Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

She floats but leaks a survey does your all wood canoe leak?

Discussion in 'Traditional All-Wood Construction' started by alick burt, May 24, 2017.

?

Is your all wood Canoe Leak free?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. sometimes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Treewater

Treewater Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

This first picture I posted above. After years of sitting in a boat house this narrow board stripper leaked bad. I inverted the canoe and put six towels on top, kept them soaking wet for three days.
    The second photo shows the result. The leaks on the right side of the keelson have sealed. The left side still leaks but has diminished dramatically. I will experiment further.

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    alick burt

alick burt LOVES Wooden Canoes

Hi Treewater
    Nice pictures.
    I had similar experience with Felix's canoe once she had been left on damp grass overnight there were no leaks.
    I am still hopeful that if I dry her out for long enough and then varnish again before she goes in the water she will begin the process without leaking and with even more luck she may eventually remain leak free as long as I keep up with a yearly varnishing.
    cheers
    Alick

3. OP
    OP
    alick burt

alick burt LOVES Wooden Canoes

And now for an update! Following my last launch of Felix's canoe you may recall she leaked quite profusely because she had been drying in my work shop for about eight months.
    Following that soaking I let her dry out again and over the next few months leading up to this years Beale Park Boat Show I applied another four coats of varnish.
    I am pleased to report that when I put her on the water there was no leakage :)
    Following on from that I left her on show for a few days drying in the sun.
    Since then she has been drying inmy workshop again but I think I will just do another coat about a week before next launch to be sure she stays watertight.
    Here's the blogg of my weekend at Beale Park with even more beautiful boats to see.

https://www.woodencanoes.uk/single-...-and-Dabchick-No-2-go-to-Beale-Park-Boat-Show

Cheers

Alick