Sebago Identification ?????

goldencub

Carpenter
Hello - I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some help! Last week I was given (yes - no payment requested!!!) this 14 foot wood and canvas cartop, which was sitting in a tumble-down shack on a lake shore in the Adirondacks. I was told it was a Penn Yan, which it certainly is not. I think it might be a Sebago, but the identifying decal is almost obliterated, except for the border. Can anyone tell me if that border belongs to a Sebago decal? The boat was purchased in the early 50's. The interior is very nice, but the exterior is peeling and mildewed. I'm going to restore it, but it would be nice to know what I'm working on!! Thanks, Al

IMG_0017.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0015.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

IMG_0012.jpg
[/IMG]

NEAT boat! I have always had a thing for the Penn Yan and Old Town Dinghys. That looks like it has the same lines as a Penn Yan, but is built a little more robustly. I have restored both an Old Town 9' dinghy, and 7 as well as 12' Penn Yan Cartoppers. they are neat. I finally got my paws on an Old Town of my own. Al I have to do is get it paid for! hard to do when my hrs at work keep getting cut!

Sebago

I just sold a Sebago special fisherman. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• 000_0796.jpg
    000_0796.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 491
  • 000_0803.jpg
    000_0803.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 000_0804.jpg
    000_0804.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 477
  • page_02[1].gif
    page_02[1].gif
    213.3 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 467
Thanks, Vatwood for the quick reply. My boat is remarkably similar to the one you had, even to the details of the decorative "arrows" on the top of the bow and stern. And I have that little drawer below the stern seat, too. But that darn decal remains bothersome as mine is totally different. I wonder if they might have had two decal styles? By any chance, do you remember the serial number? My number is 1-14-306, stamped on the transom. Thanks, Al

Sebago

They may have used different logos. I would say that it is a Sebago. I have included a picture of the SN. Looks the same. They drilled a hole for the lifting handle thu it.

Attachments

• 000_0339.jpg
    000_0339.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 482
Sebago

Thanks again, Vatwood!!! This is a picture of my serial number and they sure look alike to me. Even the "14" has the same slant to it, and it seems to be in the same location. Regardless of the decal, I'm reasonably satisfied that what I have is a Sebago. I'll probably keep inquiring about that decal as time goes by. Regards, Al

IMG_0018.jpg

Where did you find those serial numbers....I have a real old one and the deck had already been replaced and the seats and hangers changed...Next spring I am going to attempt to restore from these pictures that have been put on here.......haven't found any numbers yet. thanks

Viking - that number is on the inside of the transom on the left (port) side under the knee and towards the stern notch for an outboard motor. Both those items can be clearly seen in my picture of the number in the post above. Al

Sebago

Blue Viking

I have a bunch of pictures of my Sebago boat. From the start of restoration to the finish. Most of the trim I used white oak, inwales, deck ,seat brackets the pieces where the SN was. And cherry on the arrows and outwales. Got the canvas from Bill Clements #8 72" wide.

Vernon

Sebago Pictures

Vernon - I would be very interested to see the pictures of your restoration, as I have that ahead of me! If that cannot be easily done on the Forum, then please give me an e-mail (goldenv8@verizon.net) as to how best to accomplish it. It sounds like Blue Viking might like to see them too!! Thanks, Al

Back