Seats

Chip

Curious about Wooden Canoes
We've been back working on repair of the Maine Guide Canoe again. Sanding the interior was very tedious, but is now complete. We applied filler as needed in the patch areas. We'll be fiberglassing next weekend.

Thinking ahead, I am wondering about seats. A broken, home-made, slat seat was in the bow (at bottom in thumnail). The stern had a cane seat (at top in thumbnail). At first I figured to install webbed seats similar to what Old Town put in my Tripper. I know webbed seats may be a bit out of character for a wood boat, but they have served well in the Tripper. But the old slat seat was comfortable, and I am thinking that it may even be a little dryer on occasions when there is lots of water around.

What type seats have worked well for others?

~~Chip Walsh, Gambrills, Md

Attachments

• MGC2004seats500x333.jpg
    MGC2004seats500x333.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 647
Springriver, a local outfit here in Maryland has seats in stock for $29. My question is, which type of seat is preferable? Cane, web, or slats? I think I'd need to make the slat seats.

~~Chip

Chip said:
Springriver, a local outfit here in Maryland has seats in stock for $29. My question is, which type of seat is preferable? Cane, web, or slats? I think I'd need to make the slat seats.

~~Chip
The traditional seat is cane. War time shortages caused some manufacturers to use slats & web as substitutes. Since this canoe is being re-fiberglassed; there is no need to stay traditional. I'd make the slat seat morticed like the older seat frame for strength. If replacements are inexpensive; that may be a better way to go.

Bottom line is do what you're going to be comfortable with. We covered the cane-less seat frames of my canoe w/ pegboard when we first got it. Dad figured it would drain from wet clothing. Since he only screwed it into the corners of the grove, I was able to replace the cane whenI restored the canoe but that pegboard worked well for 20 yeras...

Back