Seat caning 11 x15 x 8 holes

Graham

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone have an example/photo of a caned canoe seat that has an 11 x 15 x 8 hole layout ? This Lakefield has a non-rectangular stern seat, and I'm not sure where the canes should run.
It's a cold windy day, and time to get started on this project... Thanks!

Attachments

• Lakefieldseats.jpg
    Lakefieldseats.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 481
Thanks Rob, I should have explained the problem a bit more. When I take a 90 degree square rule on the last holes, it seems to line up with the 4th holes on the stretcher. But the 2nd to last hole on the right lines up with the 2nd to last hole on the stretcher on one side, and the last on the other side.

Is it better to have them straight and unmatched, or have a little less than perfect alignment, and match the hole pattern? I suspect keeping them parallel is more important? Thoughts? I thought another old seat might help decide ...

The old canoe guys would probably laugh for thinking about it this much.

Being one of those old guys, I asked the same question back in 2011 here;
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?7183-trapazoidal-seat-caning&highlight=caning

It's not easy to tell from your photos whether the seat holes are evenly spaced as some seem to be plugged.
Try whatever you need to work out a pattern by first using string. If there's no way to make the cross-canes parallel, live with it the way it is, or make new seats with more carefully drilled hole patterns.

I thought I had checked all the previous caning threads on the site, but your question was almost identical to mine! Your thread didn't conclude with how it worked out for you in the end. Did it look good? It sounds like we have pretty much the same seat dimensions (both seats).

I like the idea of using string, instead of wasting cane (assuming more than one try). All of the how-to guides I have seen show nice even holes, but these are fairly uneven, although the average spacing is consistent. Since I'm just repairing, and not restoring, I want to retain the original frames. And like yours, the original cane was long gone. There are broken off pieces of dowel in some of the holes, I'll be pushing those out. Might be left over from the original caning process.

Your link also shows some examples, that's great. Thanks!!

... the old guys I was referring to was the original builders, wasn't calling anyone here old!

Mine turned out OK, though the holes were a little unevenly spaced too.
Your holes look small, assuming you plan to use 2.5mm "common" cane. You could use finer cane, or drill out the holes to 1/4".

caning

I think I can post photos of my attempt. this is the stern seat of a Rushton Indian Girl. I'm no Ralph Kohn, but this is what I got.

Attachments

• Stern seat2.jpg
    Stern seat2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 475
  • SprintPhoto_bw2d0i.jpg
    SprintPhoto_bw2d0i.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 486
Thanks so much, I think I have enough info to get started. We measured the cane width of a Chestnut seat at 3mm (medium) at Lee Valley, so that's what I'd picked up. I didn't measure the hole size, but it looks similar. I'll test run for fit first.
If it works out, I'll post a pic or two for future reference. Not a lot of sitting space on that seat...

Back