Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Sassafras paddle

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by pklonowski, Apr 5, 2015.

1. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Ed Moses sent the blank for this paddle via the WCHA Pony Express a few years ago, and... finally... The first coat of finish is on... Shouldn't be long now, before it hits the water.

Attached Files:

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Ah you just took your time so you could enjoy the smell. ;) Very nice, varnish or oil?

3. OP
    OP
    pklonowski

First coat's oil... Final coats will be varnish. It gets a little more color that way. Not that it needs any more color...

4. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

You will be pleased with it. I have a Shaw and Tenney Sasafrass paddle and love it!

5. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

I love carving sassafras, and it makes a nice lightweight paddle. Can't wait to carve one from American chestnut. Should be even lighter (colour and weight).

6. Addison

Addison New Member

Oplar is great for a box and I personally like a walnut paddle on it. I also like a walnut paddle on butternut, purple heart on on sassafras, cedar, cherry, mahogany. I like walnut with a walnut paddle. Also I am fond of Osage Orange and catalpa, juniper for boxes. I stick to the rule that whatever paddle you use it should be at least as dense as the box it sets upon, and most generally a little denser

7. Ed Moses

Ed Moses LOVES Wooden Canoes

Paul,

AHHHHH! A thing of beauty is a joy forever!! Nice job on your blank.

You ought to see my TO DO list of projects, canoe & paddle making related that I made years ago!! Seems like I get to cross of fewer and fewer of them as the years pass!! But I'm getting a lot of bird huntin' over the French Brittanies in for 2 months every year - just LUV it.

Ed

8. OP
    OP
    pklonowski

That paddle was pushing water around yesterday, and may be doing more of the same tomorrow... Not a bad stick, if I do say so myself... I do want to do a slight modification near the throat, but that's normal for my paddle-making. That's what winter is for: Final adjustments!

And THANK YOU for the paddle blank!

9. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Nice work Paul, it looks great.

10. Splinter

Splinter Wood Girl #1186

Don't know how I missed this thread on Sassafras paddles. I have 2 myself. Blade shape not like this but more of a slight tear-drop. Nice to use. Oxidized into a soft gold and then a pleasing carmel color over the years. I think I've had these for at least 20 or more years, maybe 30.

11. OP
    OP
    pklonowski

This one is pretty nice! I need to shave it down in a coupe of places, to lighten it a bit, but it's plenty fine as is!

12. Chuey

Chuey Curious about Wooden Canoes

I'm new here. I've made some paddles for myself but I do not know the term "box" and how it applies in this subject. Please enlighten me as to the meaning of "box". Thank you.

Chuey