Rushton double paddles

Mark Adams

all wood nut
Hi all,

Does anyone out there happen to have pictures and/or drawings and dimensions of a Rushton double paddle?

Thanks!

I've got three - half-paddles of various styles with different blade shapes. Haven't measured them, but could become a project...

Dan

Attachments

• Rushton tips.jpg
    Rushton tips.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 589
Hi Dan,

To resurrect this thread..

Could you possibly send me a coupel of pics of the one on the far right? That is the style I was thinking of. However, I'd like something to go with a 1888-1894 Vaux. Any ideas?

Will do so as soon as I return home later today (chased by a storm!)

Either would be appropriate I think. The middle one was the "standard" option, the square tipped one was available by special order in that time period.

Dan

Hi Dan and Dave,

Thanks! I have a very old Double I picked up somewhere, it is nicely done, but is something like 9' long. I'll post a couple of pics later. I have no idea of the maker, but it is similar to a Rushton paddle. It seems that there is very little to distinguish one maker from the other though. Dan, were Rushtons labeled?

Dave, the Only Rushton they have is the little Nessmuk, right?

Have a great New Year, and safe travels, Dan

Rushton paddles are marked sometimes, but not always. Mine are marked either J.H. Rushton or W.E. Taylor - Winnie Taylor ran a canoe livery in Canton that was stocked with Rushton stuff. The overall length is also marked on them.

Attached is a photo of the double bladed paddle that accompanied the Rushton Vaux Jr. that was donated to the Canadian Canoe Museum a couple years ago.

Attachments

• CCM_Rushton paddle.jpg
    CCM_Rushton paddle.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 569
Hi, MARK....I have an 8' double that restored beautifully, very old and the rarer squared tip. If you can wait a bit , I will try to get some pics to you. If it is the case you want this version, I would send some patterns etc to you. Do get back again to me, should it appear that I have forgotten. Happy New Year.........good effort on doing it correctly. We'll get you there.Dave

Back