Rookie error

Howard Caplan

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I am on the front end of accumulating tools and skills. I picked up a band saw and several other tools last year. The wife agreed to be patient during the warm months about losing her garage space. And with no heat in the garage, I shut down for the winter back in early December. By Jan there was enough rain, snow and humidity to create rust on my band saw table. Last night, I cleaned it off using WD-40 and scotch brite.
What should I use to prevent rust year round but especially over the winter months?
Thanks,
Howard

Howard,

Mine get rusty also.

I've read that ordinary canning wax will prevent it. I haven't tried it yet though.

Dan

Thanks you two. I will try the topcote. Seems like this can work also to keep the wood running smooth through the band saw.
howard

Johnson Paste wax works also, and it is available at the local grocery store. I also use a small fan set on a timer, it seems to reduce condensation.

Martin,
I blew off the fan idea until I saw you are in Oregon. As wet as late fall was here and as wet as the whole winter was, I know Oregon still has us beat when it comes to humidity.
Are your tools in an otherwise unregulated (weather wise) shelter? You must use the fan year round.

I will probably coat it with one of the products sent by many of you and the fan may be a good thing also.

Thanks
howard

My "shop" is in an uninsulated room above a detached garage, without the fan there are times when tools like the bandsaw with heavy mass and do not adjust to changing temperatures quick enough will have water on them from condensation, literally wet. The fan seems to alleviate this, I run it during the portions of the day that have the highest temperature swings during the winters. A lot cheaper than heating or letting things rust, most of my hand tools that I care about migrate into the house for the winters... You probably would not need a fan unless you experience condensation.

I use my Michigan shop from late May through late November and wood stove-heat it a bit at the "cooler" end of my stay.

Before I head south for the winter, I winterize everything, particularly all the cast iron surfaces -- table saw, drill press, jointer, band saw, etc.

This is what works for me:

- clean all the cast iron surfaces with mineral spirits and a 000-steel wool pad. Dry off.

- apply two coats of Topcote and buff after each application

- cover with 1/4"-thick plywood sheet fitted to the shape of the surface and weigh and/or clamp it down.

For the band saw blade I spray Topcote onto the running blade then work it through a buff rag with the power off.

When I return in late spring I find those surfaces just like new even after the drastic changes in temperature/humidity and ready to go. All I need to do is evict the half dozen field mice who wintered there.

I have used butchers wax on all my machine tables for the last 25 years in my prototype shop. pontemodels.com ( note the shameless plug! )
it's durable, easy to find and inexpensive. one can lasts for years and it's good for other stuff around the house too!

Back