Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Rocking Canoe

Discussion in 'Scale and Miniature Canoe Models' started by Craig Johnson, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

I have been working on a rocking canoe (instead of a rocking horse) for my grandson. Someday I'll write an article on the complications I ran into but today I got the construction and finishing done and am ready to canvas and fill. While that is curing I can work on the outwales and outside stems and also make the set of rockers. Still a long way to go but today felt like a milestone.. P1070012.jpg P1070007.jpg P1070005.jpg P1070011.jpg PC210001.jpg

MGC, Brad Fisher, millie_sass and 3 others like this.
  2. Norm Hein

Norm Hein Canoe Codger

That is really something Craig. I'm going to have to steal that idea! I thought I was the coolest grandpa for making a rocking moose but you win hands down.
    I look forward to the article.

rm.JPG

3. Brad Fisher

Brad Fisher Curious about Wooden Canoes

Make sure you can put wheels on it. That thing looks like it will last until he's driving at least.

4. fred capenos

fred capenos Wooden Canoe Maniac

Nice Crag. I think it needs a serial number though. Orders will be coming in.

5. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

that Sir, is kool.

6. Rollin Thurlow

Rollin Thurlow member since 1980

Short and wide canoes are the most difficult boats to work with. Extreme bends and compound curves!
    It looks like a great job!

7. crosscuts

crosscuts LOVES Wooden Canoes

Beautiful job! Make the seat removable and you will have a nice cradle till he is old enough to drive.

R.C.

8. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Boy you said it, and I multiplied those problems to the extreme. Bent the outwales and outside stems, canvassed and filled today so six more weeks till more progresses photos.

9. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Picked up this antique toy tool chest (being a carpenter myself and with a new grandson) but the real clincher was the picture in the lower right hand corner. P1190001.jpg P1190002.jpg

10. fred capenos

fred capenos Wooden Canoe Maniac

That’s cool!