Rig advice for MacGregor sailing canoe:

hurley

I’m building a Macgregor (15’8” version) sailing canoe. Although a very long way off completion I’m thinking about which rig option to choose.

The design plans by Iain Oughtred illustrate the options of either a balanced lug for both main and mizzen or Gunter rigs for both.

I have had a quote and suggestion from a sail maker to go for “balanced lug main and Gunter mizzen combination, for ease of use.

Having never sailed a canoe before all advice and observations welcome. The progress (or sometimes lack of it) of the build may be seen at http://sailsaltsawdust.blogspot.com/

Jonathan

Just curious as to why he though switching the mizzen from a lug to a gunter made things easier? The lug is just about as simple to raise and lower as anything that you can build and a balanced lug is self-vanging for a high degree of automatic twist control, something that a gunter is not. The Oughtred lug mizzen is about as simple as it gets and if it's built properly, it can be used either with or without the reefing batten.

Attachments

• IM000541.jpg
    IM000541.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 839
If you do go with the lug main, I always suggest altering the cut a bit on the Mac-lugs. Boat designers design great hulls and they often design a nice profile for the sails, but they frequently aren't very good at getting the construction details right and this boat is no exception. Sailmaking just isn't their "thing" and in many cases, they would be better off just drawing the profile they want, figuring the rig balance out, and leaving the construction details up to someone whose "thing" it is. Sailmakers who blindly follow these designers' plans aren't generally using their heads.

One of the foremost rules of sailmaking is to align the weave (and resistance to stretching) of the cloth to the leech edge of the sail. It is the most stressed edge of the sail and the least supported by spars or any kind of structure. If you cut the leech with the fabric's weave running off the edge on a bias (diagonal) as shown in the MacGregor lug mainsail plan, the leech edge will eventually stretch out and start to flap. Fixing this problem later is damned difficult. The logical way to cut any battened lugsail is to follow the leech shape with the weave alignment, segmenting the sail if needed to do so. It makes a better sail that is going to last longer and perform better.

Here is an info sheet that I send out with every MacGregor price quote that I get which shows the problem and its solution. The finished sail looks like the one in the photo above. Due to all the batten pockets, details and parts, MacGregor sails are pretty expensive little sails. If you are going to invest in them, you might as well invest in a set which are cut properly and which will last.

Attachments

• Mac cut.jpg
    Mac cut.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,075
Many thanks Todd. I am enjoying reading your book and will certainly follow your suggestions for the sail construction in this thread. This type of practical advice was just what I was hoping for.

I will also go back to my original plan of two lugs, I’m not clear myself why the combination was being suggestion.

Regards

Jonathan

Probably the most tricky part about the lug rig is getting the battens right, and expect that it may take some experimentation. Their function on this sail is not really to pre-shape the camber under tension (as they would on something like a Hobie Cat or sailboard) but rather to simply support that big mainsail roach, which would collapse without them and hopefully, do it without screwing up the rest of the sail's shape. To a somewhat lesser extent, the full battens can also make reefing the sails easier.

As far as reefing goes, the basic style of these old fully battened canoe sails is a throw-back to the old cotton sail days. When reefing, the batten was used to evenly pull down a big slab of sail and the cotton cloth below the batten would mash down into a small bundle without putting up a fight. Modern Dacron is a different story because of its stiffness and if you want to avoid creasing the heck out of it when reefing, you have to be pretty careful as you bundle up the excess cloth at the bottom of the reef. You can't expect to be able to simply pull the batten down and have everything fold up into a tidy bundle all by itself. Since the only function at all for the batten in the MacGregor lug mizzen is old-style batten reefing, which Dacron doesn't do particularly well, you could make a pretty serious case for leaving the batten out of the mizzen's plan altogether. The sail would work just as well, or possibly even better (less weight and likely a bit more shape), and the mizzen has no roach that needs batten support.

For the big-roached main, you do need the battens and you're going to want to taper their thickness very carefully. I usually specify something in the 1.25" by 3/16"-1/4" range for batten stock. Ash will work, spruce, fir or maybe even cedar could also do the job if you're careful not to step on them. The aft (leech) end can be sanded smooth and finished pretty much full thickness. From about the batten's middle forward though, you want to gradually taper their thickness. On wooden battens, there is a limit to how much you can thin the stock before it gets too flimsy to be practical. A final thickness at their forward end of 3/32"-1/8" or so (like a paint mixing stick) is about as thin as you will probably want to go for durability reasons.

In use, the taper you put into your battens will be one of the primary determining factors in how much draft the wind can put into the sail, where in the chord its maximum depth is located and also how full or flat the sail's luff entry angle will be. These three items are all major factors which determine how well your sail will perform and battens which are too stiff are perfectly capable of defeating any draft or shape that may be cut into the cloth.

This is an instance where tapered, factory-made fiberglass battens may be far superior to wooden battens. With fiberglass, you can have extremely thin, very flexible forward ends on the battens without them becoming too fragile to be practical. It would be tempting to use glass battens and maybe cheat a bit by using epoxy to glue a layer of veneer over the last 12" or so of the flat sides at the aft end, so anything hanging out of the pockets would at least look like it was a wooden batten.

Last edited:
Back