Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Rick Nash Birchbark canoe website

Discussion in 'Birchbarks, Dugouts and Primitive Craft' started by Rob Stevens, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Rick Nash has finally created a website of his decades of research and work on birchbark canoes and other traditional native gear (containers, snowshoes, toboggans, etc.). Rick was the curator of the Kanawa Canoe Museum, which became the Canadian Canoe Museum.

www.rmnashbirchbarkcanoes.ca

2. François Rothan

François Rothan Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Rick is a hell of a builder and a pioneer in maintaining alive the art of birchbark canoes. Tappan Adney would be proud of him and I admire him! Great site , great canoes and wonderful models which have become museum pieces!!!

3. Bob Holtzman

Bob Holtzman Wannabe

Thanks for this link Rob. He does nice work, don't he?

4. beaver

beaver Birchbark CanoeingBuilder

"It just doesn't get any better!" Awesome!

5. rakwetpaddle

rakwetpaddle paddle dipper

That IS beautiful stuff!

6. chris pearson

chris pearson Michigan Canoe Nut

unreal work.:rolleyes:;):)

7. beaver

beaver Birchbark CanoeingBuilder

It's REAL WORK;)

8. Murat V

Murat V LOVES Wooden Canoes

I got a chance to meet up with Rick this past weekend as he lives just a half hour drive south from my cottage. He was a very gracious host to all my newbie questions. Seeing some of his work first hand was amazing.

He was currently working on a scale model of a Royal Canoe, "The Quebec" using his notes and photos he took of the original back in in the 70's. Couple of B&W pics of it on Henri V's page (near the bottom) on Fur Trade Canoes. Rick's model was stunning in its workmanship and attention to detail. The root lashings at that scale were superhuman in perfection. He even made fully functional 1/5th scale crooked knives that were mind-boggling. Lot's of great treats in his workshop that aren't on the website just yet.

9. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Algonquin gems

Had a meeting today for work at the centre at km43, after seeing two nice bull moose lo and behold a RN bark hanging from the ceiling, plus Omer's chum - photos for Steve Lapey, proud chum owner, and yes this one was just as lumpy;) Kind of a shame to see the birchbark gathering dust instead of being used, its a stunner.

Attached Files:

10. Steve Lapey

Steve Lapey LOVES Wooden Canoes

Thanks for the update, Andre. We all wish we could have work meetings in APP!

Our Chum isn't quite so lumpy now.

Attached Files: