Richardson Aquacraft/Rilco build records

Kevin Willms

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello all. I'm new to the forums and have been reading as often as I've had time recently. I have a Richardson Aquacraft w/c canoe. I'm wondering if there are any build records for it that anyone knows of? I'll post some photos tonight. Serial number stamped in stem is 1811. It's also stamped on plate decal at the bow deck.

Thanks Benson. I'll post some photos of it tonight. Looking for advice on the extent of what should be done to make it serviceable. Then I'll decide whether or not to tackle it myself.

Hi Kevin,
The company never saved their number records when closing down in early 1968.
BTW the two-digit number stamped after the model name on the metal deck plate will tell you the year your canoe was made.

DSCN0333.JPG DSCN0334.JPG DSCN0320.JPG DSCN0338.JPG DSCN0349.JPG DSCN0328.JPG DSCN0340.JPG Thanks Dick. Now I'm wondering how much work I'm looking at to restore/repair it to make it serviceable.
I'm not sure if the dark markings are just water damage or the beginnings of rot?
Kevin

Obviously has been painted once since it was built.
Only one set of tack holes in stems after I removed the canvas.
Two locations in keel where screws were replaced with wrong size screw...they just cut the end off the replacement, but didn't take care to cut it short enough! As a result, I can see daylight through the screw holes.

Kevin,
Your boat is in much better shape than mine- planking and ribs look good!
Looks like a bit of stem repair and new canvas might be all thats needed. How are the decks?
Those dark stains on the hull looks like water has been sitting under the canvas for a while. Are the planks still solid or spongey?

Looks like a great project. Keep us updated!

Bruce

I agree with Pook - the stains on the bottom are just that. Hard to rot a cedar hull.

I gave one of these (15' version) to one of my brothers as a wedding present. Very nice canoes.

Bruce, the decks look decent from above. Screws through outer gunwale into the decks spun in their own rust coming out, so it makes me wonder if I'll find worse things underneath. I'm hoping not, but if there is, I'll just get to learn more about replacing decks!
Bruce and Dan, glad to hear that confirmation of water stains instead of rot...there is no spongey-ness to the planks at all.
I've got so many questions about sequence of events in restoration, but I think I'll wait til I've read more here (also ordered the resto bible by Thurlow and Stelmok which I hope shows up soon)
I've seen another thread elsewhere about virus silver linings: discovering these forums have been a silver lining for me!

Kevin
Sounds like smooth sailing so far. The rotten screws aren’t necessarily an indication of deck rot. Rather an indication of lousy steel screws!
Decks are one of the easiest things to repair or replace too, so no big deal.
Stepmom and Thurlow is very good but for its straight forward approach and simplicity I prefer This Old Canoe by Mike Elliott.
He includes a detailed list for planning your restoration and has a restoration work chart to follow.
Cheers!

Back