Reinstalling sponsons

pathologist

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm prepared to reinstall sponsons on the Old Town canoe I'm restoring. I took copious notes and photos while removing parts and pieces, however, I neglected to note the order in which I removed the sponson with regard to the outwales. Are the outwales to be installed before or after the sponsons are reattached and covered?

The outwales go on after the sponsons.
In fact, in my shop the outwales are about the very last thing to go on.

I have only restored a few canoes with sponsons and have in all cases reattached them. As regards the primary wales and when to reattach. I remember their going on last but also recall a little concern at the tie of fitting. I had to be careful to make sure that the top of the sponson was neither too high or low that would be a PIA when the wale went on finally. I think I temporarily installed the wales to make sure they would be in the right position later when they would be installed to finish . I wish I had taken some pics of this process in particular.
Have fun and be patient with the ears at the ends. The fit here will be very visible to the inspectors.
Dave

I use the old original holes for installing the sponsons as well as the outwales. If you do this, all will fit back together fine.

My order of doing things on a sponson or any other canoe is to varnish everything complete, including temporarily attached outer gunwales.
Then remove outer gunwales, canvas hull, attach and stretch canvas on sponsons, fill, prime, sand, paint, etc.
Once the hull, sponsons included, is completely done, I trim the canvas and reattach the outer gunwales.
The only thing left after that is seats and stem bands.
Good luck!

Back