Re-finished some old paddles

Mark67

Curious about Wooden Canoes
After completing the year-long restoration of the old family St. Louis canoe, I figured I needed to re-do one of the old paddles I like. And it turns out, while I was doing work on the canoe, my brother was bringing two other of our paddles back to life. Hope you enjoy.
Paddle & canoe.jpgside-by-side.jpgclose up.jpg

Could you post more pictures of your St louis.I am restoring mom's which Ithink is more than 85 years, also painted red. Do you have any info on the Meramac model? Thanks Grover Griffin

Hey Grover,
Please see attached. I did add a forum thread a few months back, summarizing the project. It was very fun and rewarding. We know our canoe is a St. Louis brand, and believe it to be their Gasconade model. All their models were names after Missouri Rivers. We believe it be from around 1921 -1923. The family story is that my Grandfather "bought it used when he was 18", that woulda been 1924. So maybe ours are "related"?
I have a TON more pictures, that I could send you a link to if you'd like. Thanks for the interest, and good luck with your project. Let me know if I can help with any questions.
3. time to start.jpg6. a LOT of rot.jpg6-27-12 to the Lake!.jpgAlmost there.jpgDeck Decal.jpgReady for Launch!.jpg

Mark,
I found the thing that was in the rope hole on the deck....I'll put it somewhere where I won't lose it!! LOL!!...It would look good painted and re-installed in the rope hole.

Dave
PS: Shop addition is coming along well!! Double the size! More room to squirrel stuff away... ;))

Back