Planks from siding?

Brad Fisher

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hi, I'm working on a restoration project and am looking for tips on sourcing cedar for planks. I've heard that cedar siding can be milled and adapted. Who's done this, and how? Is it worth it, or should I just order planks from the OT guys?

Thanks!

The attached photos are why I need planks!

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3410.jpeg
    IMG_3410.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 250
Is your planking white cedar or red? I'm guessing red. If you can find a lumber yard that stocks western red cedar for siding, and even better if they let you select what matches your grain and color, buy it and saw it down the middle, then run thru the thickness planer to get the correct thickness of planking for your canoe. Then set the fence on the table saw and rip whatever width you require. Of course all the wood is kiln dried, and you won't have trouble with it until the tacks go in, when it wants to crack. Drill all the tack holes, and keep a spritzer bottle of water handy to keep the wood moist. TM...

You didn't say what you are working on, but many canoes were made with western red cedar, and for that just go to your local box store and look at the cedar 2x material. Look at the larger sizes and look for the wane, as then there will be less knotts. Find pieces that you can get 4" wide clear pieces.
If you have a real lumber yard near you, you could try that and get better grade cedar. But it will cost more.

Yep it’s red cedar, 3-3/4” wide. This is a 1966 OT Otca. Thanks for the encouragement!

Back