[toc]nonum[/toc] [H=1]Penobscot Canoe Company[/H]The Penobscot Canoe Company (also known as Pecaco) was founded in 1915 by Alfred Wickett, who was formerly employed by the [manufacturers]Old Town Canoe Company[/manufacturers]. Alfred left the Penobscot Canoe Co. in 1920, moved to Missouri, and started the [manufacturers]St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company[/manufacturers]. The Pecaco factory burned down in 1923. [H=2]Identifying Features[/H] The main feature by which a Pecaco canoe is identified is the “spearhead” deck. [image]pecaco deck.gif|thumb|right|Penobscot Canoe Company spearhead deck[/image] [H=2]Canoe Models[/H] Regular Type - standard wood canvas construction offered in 16', 17' and 18' lengths Notacrack - Special construction with second layer of thin ribs overlapping main ribs. Guide - available in 18' and 20' lengths, in regular and Notacrack construction. [H=2]References[/H] Audette: Susan T. 1998. The Old Town Canoe Company: Our First Hundred Years. Tilbury House, Gardiner, Maine. Includes information regarding Alfred Wickett’s relationship with Old Town Canoe Company, and his subsequent activities with Penobscot Canoe Company and [manufacturers]St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company[/manufacturers]. Miller, Daniel J. and Benson Gray. The Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Manufacturer Catalog Collection. Contains the two known Penobscot Canoe Company trade catalogs. Available from the WCHA Online Store.