Penn Yan Decal Or Photo Of

Bob,

I bought one directly from Penn Yan a few years ago. I don't have it here so I can't compare it to the images attached. It was expensive. :(
And the wrong one.

I'm told that Dan Sutherland may have some but never got very far getting any. (talked with his workers/helpers but never got him)

The deck pic is from Dan M's site, I'm not sure where the decal close up is from(I may have scanned my new decal but don't remember) but it looks like it may be the same as in the deck image.

And the 3rd image is of my deck after cleaning as best I could. It's hard to tell but I think it's a Penn Yan decal, but possibly rare, I'm not sure if I've found anybody else who's seen one like it or not. The canoe is a 31-32 (best guess) Owasco S/N ONS 62, based on the species used and a discussion with the PY rep. The rep said that 31 was the 1st year for the 16 ft Owasco.

Dan

Attachments

• PennYan Decal-1.jpg
    PennYan Decal-1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 488
  • PennYan Decal-2.jpg
    PennYan Decal-2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 509
  • PennYan ONC62 Decal.jpg
    PennYan ONC62 Decal.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 518
thanks dan! i have decided to turn the penn yan that dave wermuth gave me into a couple of canoe shelves(very reluctantly) and wanted to add a decal to the deck. the original canoe was really a total replacement job and i guess this way most of it was saved in a way.:(

Bob
If you go to the WCHA classified section , then to #10 there. There was a 1934 Penn Yan [they say] that was actioned off back on Nov. 11. The pictures are still on line [I just checked] and there is one of the decal. Sorry, I couldn't post it here but it is beyond my computer skills. Don't know if this will help but at least you can get a look at it. Denis

thanks denis, we missed that auction but went to a later one. it was disappointing. lots of new imported stuff and toys.
there is a charles santi who posts on the woodenboat site about penn yan but have been unable to locate him.

Denis,
How did you find the pics? Got em. :)
The S/N is ONS 46261, a 1946 16' Owasco number 261 (of what I don't know, year, model year, ??)
This also has a different decal. See attached.

Bob,
Charlie is a Penn Yan buff, in NY(?) I think.
He had some medical problems and has been quiet lately.
He also has a couple Owasco's with S/n's close to mine, but I never got any info or pics from him.

Dan

Attachments

• Penn Yan 46 decal.jpg
    Penn Yan 46 decal.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Attached is a 300 dpi scan of a repro decal I have. If you print it at 300dpi, it should print actual size. You can get water-slide decal paper for laser and inkjet printers - if you do this you'll need the white kind (rather than the transparent kind, unless your printer has white ink....)

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• py_decal_300dpi.gif
    py_decal_300dpi.gif
    99.5 KB · Views: 786
Bob
Dave McDaniel said he went to that auction. I think he said that the Penn Yan was in rough shape - at least I think that is what he said! :confused: Denis

denis, i printed the decal photo and glued it to the canoe shelf and it looks nice and old. thanks. bob

Morris decal?

Does anyone have a really good picture of the decal on the Morris short deck? I recall that one of the old issues of Wooden Canoe pictured a Morris deck that was in very good condition, but the photo is black and white.

The issue of Wooden Canoe Kathy mentions is # 79 February 1997, the photo was sent in by Craig Allen of his 17' 1916 Morris Model A. Is Craig still a member? Does anyone know him? If so could he send us life size color photo? Thanks, Denis

Back