Passing of Ted Behne

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
I was informed by Ted's wife that Ted lost his battle with cancer on March 7th. He was an amazing craftsman and made beautiful birch bark models. I will miss him very much.

Fond memories of hangin with Ted at Peterborough in 2008 ~~

Attachments

• Peterborough 08 118 ttt.jpg
    Peterborough 08 118 ttt.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 372
  • Peterborough 08 172 TF.jpg
    Peterborough 08 172 TF.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 374
  • TED RELAXING UNDER   CANOE.jpg
    TED RELAXING UNDER CANOE.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 372
One of the best things about Ted was his willingness, indeed desire, to share his vast knowledge of birchbark canoes and models, their use, and their construction.

I first met Ted at the 2010 Assembly, on the side trip to see the undisplayed collection of birchbarks and birchbark models of the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts. I have no pictures of Ted on that trip (except his hand) as Ted served as the ad hoc guide to the stored canoes (he talked the Museum folks into taking one canoe off the racks so we could see and discuss it) and to the models –

Copy of 100_6547.JPGCopy of 100_6611.JPG

Those of us on the trip who knew little about birchbarks learned a great deal that day from Ted.

At the 2012 Assembly, Ted brought some of his crooked knives and conducted a well-attended workshop on the crooked knife – demonstrating its use, the factors that separated a good knife from a poor one, and encouraged participants to try out various good and not-so-good examples from his collection.

sm 100_0943 tb.jpg sm 100_0949.jpg sm 100_0947  tb.jpg

I last saw Ted this past autumn when we interviewed him for our video-in-progress:

sm _DSC1693.jpg

Ted will be missed by all who knew him.

Ted gave me a crooked knife that he had acquired along the way.....always think of him whe it is used! Ted fought a tough battle..RIP, Ted. Your legacy lives on!

What a treat to have spent some time at summer Assembly listening to Ted talk about crooked knives and trying them out. I'm grateful that he passed on some of his knowledge. I'll miss him and the folks gathered around at this summer's meeting.

Back