Paint questions

I follow the old adage, "it's your money, spend it any way that you want." If it makes you happy sanding, patching and repainting this boat, then go for it. I realize that many here follow the other old adage, "you can't make whipped cream out of chicken $#!t". That is also very true. But again, your money, your life, do what YOU want to do.

You can add a mildew inhibitor to oil, and it's supposed to prevent the mold growth that turns ash (or most any other woods) black. But I'm with Todd on this one... sanding and re-oiling every 2 or 3 times you take the boat out gets really old, in a hurry. I'd rather be paddling.

After a week of house guests I was able to get back to the boat yesterday, first coat of primer went on after I cleaned it with TSP and rinsed it first. This will get sanded today and I'll check the surface for imperfections. Looking at it yesterday I didn't notice very much that looked like it needed filling in.

boat primed stern.jpg boat primed bow.jpg

thought I'd update. put the first coat of color on today. got decals from TJ Amato and paint to do the pinstripe as well.

paint can.jpg boat in Penn Yan green.jpg

Realized I got sidetracked on the Old Town in the pictures below and hadn't updated on the Penn Yan cartopper. Painted the pinstripe today, trying to get it in the water later this summer. Decals and shellac to the gunwales to follow.

IMG_2379.jpg IMG_2413.jpg IMG_2414.jpg IMG_2415.jpg IMG_2416.jpg IMG_2417.jpg IMG_2418.jpg IMG_2419.jpg

Back