Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

paddle trials

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by Craig Johnson, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

Wow, is this January? Planned on working in the shop today but 60 degrees and sunny quickly changed my mind. I didn't think I was going to try out my new paddles till spring so I jumped at the chance today even though a bit breezy for solo. Only a little bit of thin ice in the shallows so I used the copper tip in that and anywhere I might have contact. The sassafras is like a feather, 1lb. 3oz. The mahogany very nice also but I have to admit I like the tiger maple best, heavier at 1lb. 15oz. but a little longer and I like the new style grip and the rubbed oil finish feels better than the varnish, definitely switching to that for future paddles.
    The maple one I made to donate to the WCHA auction at assembly this year so it is up for grabs but after today I think I'll start on a keeper for myself. It's perfectly reasonable to own 2 paddles for each canoe you have, Right?

Attached Files:

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

[/B] It's perfectly reasonable to own 2 paddles for each canoe you have, Right? .
    Nah, 2 is more like necessity; 5 is reasonable:D:D

3. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Three is absolutely minimum. Five is definitely better. I don't know, Andre, "reasonable" doesn't figure in my equation.... :)