paddle trials

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
Wow, is this January? Planned on working in the shop today but 60 degrees and sunny quickly changed my mind. I didn't think I was going to try out my new paddles till spring so I jumped at the chance today even though a bit breezy for solo. Only a little bit of thin ice in the shallows so I used the copper tip in that and anywhere I might have contact. The sassafras is like a feather, 1lb. 3oz. The mahogany very nice also but I have to admit I like the tiger maple best, heavier at 1lb. 15oz. but a little longer and I like the new style grip and the rubbed oil finish feels better than the varnish, definitely switching to that for future paddles.
The maple one I made to donate to the WCHA auction at assembly this year so it is up for grabs but after today I think I'll start on a keeper for myself. It's perfectly reasonable to own 2 paddles for each canoe you have, Right?

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 495
[/B] It's perfectly reasonable to own 2 paddles for each canoe you have, Right? .
Nah, 2 is more like necessity; 5 is reasonable:D:D

Three is absolutely minimum. Five is definitely better. I don't know, Andre, "reasonable" doesn't figure in my equation.... :)

Back