Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Paddle Bags

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by owlsroost, May 6, 2016.

1. owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

There must be some thread on where to get a decent paddle bag for a 6 foot paddle, but I searched it and didn't come up with one. Any suggestions on who might make a water proof paddle bag?

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

3. OP
    OP
    owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

Thanks Benson, I ordered one.

4. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Hey Owl,

Just curious, what do you use a 6 ft paddle for? Any pics you could post of it?

Dan

5. OP
    OP
    owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

Well Dan I have used the Northwoods Style paddle and stroke for many years. A proper fit for that paddle is 3 inches shorter than the overall height of the paddler, with a maximum of 6 foot. I actually have a Peavey paddle that is 6 foot also. But as a matter of course I make my own bow and stern Northwoods paddles.

6. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Long paddles make for great rudders when you're sailing a canoe, without an installed rudder. They're also nice for standing up & scouting rapids; in deeper water, they're better than a canoe pole.

7. OP
    OP
    owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

Here is a shot of the freighter that I use to guide from. I'm not using a paddle here but you can see it sticking up just in front of me. This was taken at Landing Pool on the Upper Magalloway.

@0 Footer at Landing copy.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  8. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Owl,

Thanks, cool boat, we don't see much of that here in MN, the land of "hit & switch" paddlers. :)
    There's a few folks canoeing rivers here, but we're mostly lake traffic in the BW, flat deep water canoeing.

Dan

9. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

As to paddle length -- the grip on a northwoods style paddle, and the way the grip is held, allows for choking up -- effectively making the paddle shorter.
    northwoods grips cr.jpg Rob Stevens Grip ed.jpg cr 100_3281.JPG cr 100_3283.jpg

10. Kevin French

Kevin French Paddler

I bought Gun Socks for a pair of paddles i bought this winter, I not sure there are many 6' guns out there, but for the rest of us it a cheap solution.

11. Giiwedin

Giiwedin Gouvernail

12. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Mary sews up simple drawstring bags from a variety of fabrics and patterns as shown in this shot of our paddle corner.

Photo1665.jpg

These protect the paddles from scratches during transport and provide instant identification when selecting which paddles to take along; pink cupcakes=Emily, beer steins=Kyle, etc.