Our First Old Town

Isn't there a way to easily nueter by clipping the end of the stem? I heard with the right tool anybody can do it.
howard

sponsons

Hi Kathryn and Denis,
About those sponsons------. Keep them on till you are ready to restore the canoe. then take them off without removing the canvas. (make notes and mark em "port and starboard"). then but them away where they won't twist or get busted up. I finished a HW this year and it was a piece of cake. A bunch of us paddled it and it was a very nice canoe on the water. We all thought the sponsons would get in the way, but that was not the case. The only down side I can think of is the weight.(90#+). Fred

Attachments

• gary's canoe 030.jpg
    gary's canoe 030.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 401
  • canoe pictures and thanksgiving 047.jpg
    canoe pictures and thanksgiving 047.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 391
Fred,
very nice work.

Denis,
I'm not sure what the gestation period is, only that sometime when your not watching, another will appear, and another and pretty soon, there is a whole flock of OT's hanging around.

Dan

Kathryn Klos said:
Denis says he'd like to try to replicate the picture from the 1912 OT catalog of the kids trying to sink the sponson canoe.

The images below might also be fun to recreate if you like old pictures of sponson canoes. The first one is identified on the back as being from 1907 with a note that says "Our Sponson Canoe built at O. T. Canoe Shop to show how many it would hold for advertising" although it does not appear to ever been used in an advertisement. The second one is from the mid-1930s and you probably even have a similar looking dog.

Benson

Attachments

• sponson-a.jpg
    sponson-a.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 364
  • Canoe2.jpg
    Canoe2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Great pictures! Thanks, Benson.

Soon we'll be picking up Our Second Old Town. It may be a "parts only" canoe... poor thing is crunched in half, up against a shed, and I couldn't get a look at the serial number... but it appears to be an HW with open gunwales and a badly done fiberglass-over-canvas.

Kathryn Klos said:
That number-four design looks nice on a sponson canoe.

Yes, that picture is very exciting to me because it clearly shows how the design number four transitions over the end of the sponson rail to the end of the outside gunwale at the tips. The canoe shown at http://forums.wcha.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1665&d=1151334414 has been restored as shown below but still lacks the design number four because of my struggle with this. It is time to erase all of my old pencil marks and start again now that I have a much better pattern to work from.

I am also glad to hear that your Old Town canoes are already reproducing.

Benson

Attachments

• Sail-2007.jpg
    Sail-2007.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 350
Back