OldTown sn8886

sn8886 measurements

016.jpg015.jpg013.jpgHello WCHA folks,
I have some data on sn8886CanoeJPG 001.jpgCanoeJPG 002.jpgCanoeJPG 003.jpgCanoeJPG 003.jpg

I will post more images at another time.
Mark

more repair photos

021.jpg022.jpgHere are more photos of sn8886. Match these with my data sheet 3 to connect the images with the locations in the canoe. 20 ribs are broken. 5 ribs are broken in 2 places and one rib is broken in 3 places.
Mark017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg

Thanks for this great detailed information, Mark-- I'll add it to the database.

Hi WCHA,

Thanks for the birthday greeting.

I've been working, and then the holidays came and went. Now it's proper ski season and we're up in Grand Lake most weekends where my old canoe rests under the main-room windows. Don't worry about me recovering the old canoe any time soon...and I promise to consider canvas. Grand Lake, CO has many old vintage wooden motorboats lurking in the old vintage boat houses on the south shore. This isn't 'old' like camps on Lake Eaton in the Adirondacks or anything. I've never seen another wooden canoe around here.. I have seen rowing sculls.

Evening.jpgRubyCanyon.jpgSo is there a rocky mountain chapter of the WCHA? I see there is a chapter in Washington State, but that's a long way off too...

Kind regards,
Mark

Attachments

• Evening3.jpg
    Evening3.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 384
Your pictures have me yearning for spring! But winter here in the U.P. of Michigan will stick around for a while.

As for a WCHA Chapter near you... as you noticed, there currently isn't one. We were a long way from others too, and ended up starting our own. It took a while to get going... for a time, we were barely a handful... but now we have enough people to take-on some jobs, like someone who can create a newsletter and another to organize get-togethers. There may be others where you are who'd like to get together for paddling or working on boats... they don't need to have a canoe (but they might catch "the bug"). Our Chapter Co-ordinater, Craig Kitchen, is available to help anyone interested in starting a chapter. I know creating a chapter may seem like a lot of work, but keep the idea in mind, especially when people ask you about your canoe. Many chapters start quite small and grow over time.

Kathy

Mud Time in Colorado Mts.

Hi WCHA,

It's starting to be mud time in Colorado. We have made some last turns on skis and the lakes are starting to show some water. I noticed some floor boards (floor sticks?) in images of Morris canoes on the web and then noticed that my old canoe has tell-tale marks on its ribs and a few patterns of empty holes where I assume the lock down blocks were attached. I spoke with a GL resident who says her neighbors on the lake have a wooden canoe. If I can find another Colorado canoe enthusiast I may try to start a chapter.

Mark

Your pictures have me yearning for spring! But winter here in the U.P. of Michigan will stick around for a while.

As for a WCHA Chapter near you... as you noticed, there currently isn't one. We were a long way from others too, and ended up starting our own. It took a while to get going... for a time, we were barely a handful... but now we have enough people to take-on some jobs, like someone who can create a newsletter and another to organize get-togethers. There may be others where you are who'd like to get together for paddling or working on boats... they don't need to have a canoe (but they might catch "the bug"). Our Chapter Co-ordinater, Craig Kitchen, is available to help anyone interested in starting a chapter. I know creating a chapter may seem like a lot of work, but keep the idea in mind, especially when people ask you about your canoe. Many chapters start quite small and grow over time.

Kathy

Yay! Drag-in some folks who are paddling canoes and kayaks of different materials, too... the wooden canoes may win 'em over! Plus it's fun to paddle in a group... and more things to eat show up at a pot-luck.

Morris canoes were sold with a floor rack, just as you suspected. The little turn-buckles that were used to hold the rack in place were made from pieces of stem band.

Attachments

• Morris 13367 toggle floor rack.jpg
    Morris 13367 toggle floor rack.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 394
The ice is out in Colorado!

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Wood canoes in the rocky mts.

Hi WCHA folks,

It's snowing in the Colorado high country. My canoe is back to leaning against the living room wall, pretending to be a bookshelf, for the snow season.

I saw a couple of nice wooden canoes on a trailer in Grand Lake in late summer. A Carleton and a canoe with Waltham painted on the side. Both rather fancy short canoes with lots of deck. I'm remembering... maybe (he said) it was a Nutting Canoe? Way prettier than my work-a-day Morris. I left a note and the owner responded to my message. We have talked a little on the telephone. Turns out we both live in Boulder, CO.. He is not interested in WCHA but is a member of some other boat club or group. He told me there is a canoe he wants to buy hanging in an antique shop in GL. Makes me wonder how many canoes a fellow needs. Anyway, the idea of a rocky mtn chapter of WCHA is elusive so far.

I'm starting to plan a trip to Boundary waters/Quetico for next September. There will be at least 1 old Morris canoe on the trip.

The Jag Lake event happens in September... in Northern Wisconsin... not too far from where you plan to be. Keep it in mind! A great time with great people. Also, the WI Canoe Heritage Museum is in Spooner. If you're coming all that way, it might work into your plans.

Kathy

PowerPointPresentation

The Jag Lake event happens in September... in Northern Wisconsin... not too far from where you plan to be. Keep it in mind! A great time with great people. Also, the WI Canoe Heritage Museum is in Spooner. If you're coming all that way, it might work into your plans.

Kathy

Hi WCHA, I will not be attending the summer meeting. I've prepared a .pptx file so that you can see my Morris canoe. This website says the file is invalid when I try to attach it. If you are interested in the presentation, let me know how to send it.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

043.jpg

Hi WCHA,

I've been repairing the stern seat of Morris canoe SN 8886, and noticed that on the bottom of the seat frame there is an 'A' marked by scratching the wood. I have suspected this canoe is a model A since taking measurements. Maybe you all have seen markings like this before?

Happy paddling,
Mark

Thanks for sharing that, Mark. I hadn't heard of that particular marking before. Folks have reported other markings... a name, a date, a serial number. This is a nice find that appears to confirm the model of your canoe.

Kathy

Back