Old wood/canvas canoe

Bob Schenk

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a old canoe that has a outer green canvas covering over a wood plank/rib structure-see attached pictures. Serial #WJHPGSBCJ700. Don't know the make or year. It's about 14-15' long, 35" wide. Any info on it would be great. Must have hit a rock or something pretty good for the size hole in the side & cracked ribs & planking in the bottom. Wondering if it would be worth fixing/restoring. Would this be something I might be able to do myself? I am handy with woodworking. Thanks, Bob

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 707
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 685
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 686
WJH is the MIC for West Hollow Boat Company - WCHA's own Pat Smith down in Naples, NY. It was built in 2000. Pat is still very much in business - his web site is http://westhollowboats.com/ - best to call him as I don't think he does email much.

The canoe is very repairable, and you can probably get pre-bent ribs from Pat if you wanted.

Dan

Definitely worth it!

That boat is in beautiful shape aside form the damage. A few new ribs some planking and a new canvas and you'll have a family heirloom in the making. I would recommend the book The Wood And Canvas Canoe by Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow as well as the book. Building the Maine Guide Canoe by Stelmok. Both must haves if your new to this. There will also be a lot of very helpful people here on the forums when you get stuck. If you check out the area chapters you may find that your not to far from someone that could give you a hand when you need it. Welcome to the club but be warned this can become and obsession:D

Back