Old Town OTCA

Tnic

Paddlewon Canoobie
This old bird is in the barn.

18' OTCA (suspected).
Diamond head bolts

Needs some wood replaced, but appears sound enough. The seller kindly offered to transport her out to my folks place where she's waiting for me to begin an examination.

00D0D_3e5XkpONSl6_1200x900.jpg 00W0W_4LVXsOIqSdP_1200x900.jpg IMG_6997[1].JPG IMG_7001[1].JPG

Well, I got to fondle and look over the old gal yesterday, for the first time. Sadly there will be no Ser# search. Some fool ground off the numbers on both stems except for the length. I suspect this may have a been a "hot" boat at one time at least.

That being said. She's not in too bad of shape. All the parts are there. Stems and decks look to be spruce, but will get some more detailed pics soon. The keel is inside the boat (with remnants of green paint so I know what color she was) and the deck trim strips are removed but came with. One is broken, but easily repaired. Seats and thwarts all look to be in good shape and likely ash and the caning is good.

Hi I also am restoring an Old Town OTCA CS 18 footer, built in 1914. Mine doesn't have any thwarts or seats, would you be able to help me out with the measurements as to where they should be located on the canoe please? Also your picture doesn't quite show the tips of the bow or stern and as mine are rotted out there I need to see how the stems, decks, and gunwales meet up? Any chance you could take a close up for me please? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• DSCN2198.JPG
    DSCN2198.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 271
Absolutely Gary. I'll waddle out to the barn this afternoon (after my nap) and get some detailed pics and measurements for you.

Thanks very much I want to restore it to as close to its original condition as possible. Does yours have floor racks? A picture and dimensions of them would also be appreciated. Sorry if I'm a bother????
Gary

No floor racks and you're not a bother. I'm retired. :)

Ok here are the numbers. All measurement are from the bow stem (see pic for position of tape measure) in a straight line to each bolt head along the starboard (that's the right) inwale.

Decks are 23" from the tip to the ends of the curve.

Inner bow stem to stern, right inwale

Bow Seat - 60 3/4 & 69
Fore Thwart - 74"
Mid Thwart - 108 1/4
Aft Thwart - 124 1/4
Stern Seat - 171 3/8 & 180

Sorry for the delay. Just as I started typing the above our power went out. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks so much, a big help. Do your decks, stems, and gunwales end up like this?

Attachments

• otca-deck.jpg
    otca-deck.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 307
Looks about right Gary. I forgot to include that the decks have a trim piece on the curved part. Mine had been removed, but came with the boat.

So does the stem butt up to the underside of the deck or is it cut into the point of the deck? Tough to see in that picture?

Oh yeah pichers! LOL

The first shot is how I positioned the tape measure and all measurements are from that point.

100_0179.JPG 100_0175.JPG 100_0176.JPG 100_0177.JPG 100_0178.JPG

Thanks I can see from the last shot what you are referring to as the bow stem through the hole in you canoe. Unfortunately my canoe doesn't have these. But I can take the measurements from that point in my canoe so all is good. Thanks again for everything you've been very helpful. Let me know how the restoration goes?
Gary

Its gonna be a couple years before I can get to it, but the progress will get posted here when there is any.

Glad I could help Gary and keep us posted on your resto.

Thank you Benson, once again you've been very helpful. I can manage with the pictures and measurements from the threads you provided.
Gary

Back