Old Town #14088-18

Ron Bedard

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello,
I've finished up with the last details of a re-canvas and re-finish of this 18' Old Town guide canoe from 1944. It wasn't terribly far gone, but the canvas was hanging off in tatters, and the varnish was peeling and badly alligatored. The gunwhales were cracked in a few places, but the ribs were all OK and tight to the planking.
I posted earlier notes about using Homer Formby's refinisher instead of a chemical stripper, and I'm pleased with the results. I prefer to have the canoe look like a survivor of the last 75 years, and I think it does. I suppose that stripping might have been necessary however if the varnish had been in worse shape.
I used the duct mastic for the canvas filler, and of all phases of the project, this is where I feel I could have taken more care. You really can't do much to make it any smoother than it is when you're finished applying it.
I gave it 3 coats of enamel underbody sanded between coats, and 2 coats of Rustoleum Hunter green. Everyone raves about the color, and I'm very happy with it.
I'm finishing up the work on a trailer, and we'll be able to peep the foliage from the water if we want to.
Thanks to all for the advice and info.
Happy paddling.
Ron
P.S. I'll make some duckboards. Need to find a clear 16' cedar decking plank to mill into strips.

19D24F78-AC5F-4A75-9041-88FFEEE4C80E.jpeg D2F34214-013F-4DBD-A159-968C27523364.jpeg Three coats of Rust-Oleum Hunters Green on this OLD town that I did. I just sanded the inside and redid the seats.

Great color! I found a decal for the bow deck on this forum. A match for the original.
Where'd you find a decal, if you don't mind my asking? I'm torn between saving what I have (top half only remains) vs. replacing it (which may prove necessary anyway).

Back