Old Town #112981

Ron Bedard

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Just picked up this 16' Old Town. #112981-16. I'm hoping there's build sheet/information available for this one. Other than some rot at the tips, the canoe seems in remarkable shape. I'll make two new decks, and I'm thinking about splicing in pieces of inwhales and outwhales to replace what's gone at the bow and stern. The rest of the rails are sound. Is this considered bad form? I could find stock for full replacements in ash but I can avoid steaming new ones if I do the splices. Pretty sure I can find well matched stock and do a job that won't jump out at you. I'll plan to do symmetrical repairs at both ends.
Used mastic from a vendor in Canada for the canvas filler last time. There's a locally available product that I'll try this time. It is WAY less expensive. I've got some leftover canvas and will do a test sample before I commit. I'll post the results in case anyone's interested.
Regards,
Ron

Congratulations, the Old Town canoe with serial number 112981 is a 16 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, HW (heavy water) model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks, birch thwarts, birch seats, and a keel. It was built between August, 1933 and March, 1934. The original exterior paint color was bright red. It was shipped on July 12th, 1934 to Hammondsport, New York.

112981.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Rail splices are a very common repair, especially at the ends. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions,

Benson

Thanks again Benson.
The seller thought the canoe was circa 1900 but I had a feeling it wasn't quite that old. Have started to disassemble for repairs at the tips.
Regards,
Ron

Sorry Jim,

Was out of the country for 10 days. Wasn't teasing...It is another mastic. I compared the label with the pail I bought from Orca in Canada. Looks like the same stuff. I'll post the results when I get to that stage. Am planning to do a sample on some canvas left over from the last canoe.
I've replaced the decks with some nicely figured cherry, spliced in new inwhale ends, and replaced planking at the tips with some antique WRC siding I was saving for ukulele soundboards.
On to the stripping.UGGHH!
The weather is closing in here, but I've got seats and thwarts to refinish, and caning to do.
I've got a salvaged mobile-home furnace in my shed and I just wish the canoe would fit in there!
Take care,
Ron

Back