Old birchbark canoe model. wondering?

bob goeckel

Wooden Canoe Maniac
seeing the article about the discovery of the Adney model got me to looking closer at this and wondering. I realize it's not an Adney but it seems very old and well made. were there alot of canoe models around way back? does anyone have any insight into what this might be? 20"x5"w

Attachments

• old canoe model 005.jpg
    old canoe model 005.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 708
  • old canoe model 001.jpg
    old canoe model 001.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 818
adney model?

Bob,
Which article are you referring? Funny, 10 years ago, I made an appointment to view the Adney collection at the Mariners Museum. They took me into the basement and let me see everything. Being a modelmaker, it was quite a sight that I wont too soon forget!;) Most models made were souvenir type for visiting a certain place or at a fair. The one you posted looks nicer than that though, I'm no expert here.

Chris

Old Birchbark Canoe Model

As Chris noted, most Native-made bark canoe models were made for sale to tourists. They are rough approximations of full-size canoes, never intended to be precise replicas. They are typically off on scale and proportion and lack the correct number of ribs. The model in the photos is better made than most. Adney's models stand out because they are precise replicas of the real thing, made to one-fifth scale and so accurately built that measurements taken from his models can be used to make full-size canoes. :)

it's in the new wooden canoe vol.31 #4. it doesn't look like a typical souvenir to me either. the thwarts are rabbited into the inwale, the planks are cut and laid like typical birch construction. although there is some damage this looks very precise and dimensionally correct. anyway it is a nice old canoe model. thanks for the replies! :D

It's a banana

Hi bob, oh, just to the left of the banana is a really nice looking bb model. looks more like a model than a toy. A good find.

did you get my emails?

no, we expected to hear from you about picking us up to go to the qws then gave up. i emailed you about it sunday. we had been looking forward to it.

holy mother of all canoe models!!!!!!

Holy crap, now I know what youre talking about Bob, I just got my WCHA journal. Ted, what an amazing find!!!! I'm so interested in all this Adney stuff you are digging up. What a great story, life, history!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe what you discovered. Hats off to you and all your efforts, what a great addition to the club, congratulations! I'm not worthy!!!!!!!!!:D

Back