oarlocks

Rushton Rowlocks

From the 1901 catalog - others are about the same. I've seen most of these and some variations on Rushton boats. The outrigger style is reproduced by Shaw and Tenney.

Attachments

• page-62.gif
    page-62.gif
    70 KB · Views: 627
  • page-63.gif
    page-63.gif
    96.5 KB · Views: 551
Morris Rowlocks

From the Morris catalog, 1917. Hard to see (it's item number 30). Photos have been posted here with the wooden blocks shown.

Attachments

• page-30.gif
    page-30.gif
    250.2 KB · Views: 516
More Morris

This style has been seen on several Morris canoes. The only catalog I've ever seen them offered in is RacineWis.

Attachments

• bronze folding lock 2 .JPG
    bronze folding lock 2 .JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 635
More comments

Most of the canoe builders bought from a few hardware manufacturers, like Wilcox-Crittenden. Rushton and others bought from Blazier in Utica, NY, nad probably Baker in Watertown, NY.

Rushton oarlocks

Dennis,
I'll be working on the Wisconsin canoe museum building in Spooner this Saturday. There's a Rushton there that may have oarlocks--can't remember. If it does, I'll take and post some pictures for you.

I'm sure the Morris there does not have oarlocks.

Gary

Dan,
Thank -you for posting all the information that you did.
We have two Morrises and a Rushton that have sockets. Though the drawings give me a good idea of what I should be looking for, a photo would work even better for me. For example the photo you posted of the outrigger rowlock is, I think, more informative than the drawing. That's what I'm looking for. I do most appreciate your effort. I would like to be able to recognize the proper oarlocks when I run across them.
Denis

Uploading pictures which Denis took, of oar lock sockets on a Rushton Indian Girl and sockets taken from a Morris.

The Rushton sockets are the ones pictured attached to a canoe. They are 9/16 inch on the top, tapering to 1/2 inch on the bottom.

Holes on the Morris sockets are 9/16 inch straight.

Attachments

• outside 010.jpg
    outside 010.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 431
  • outside 009.jpg
    outside 009.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 450
  • outside 008.jpg
    outside 008.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 416
  • outside 007.jpg
    outside 007.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 432
  • outside 006.jpg
    outside 006.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 445
  • outside 005.jpg
    outside 005.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 453
This would be typical of a Rushton type.
The barrel is 1.66 long from the shoulder to the chain. The diameter is about .580 give or take a few thousandths.
The narrowest point in the lock is 2 inches. Two inches is usually the diameter of the leather over the oar.

I have never rowed a canoe. I wonder if you row guide boat style?

Attachments

• IMG_3313 a.JPG
    IMG_3313 a.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Those look very cool... we appreciate the feedback!

We recently won an eBay auction for some that may fit the Morris (attached below)-- haven't received them yet. Finding these things is part of the fun.

Attachments

• oarlocks.JPG
    oarlocks.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 481
Here is another example of the typical Rushton oarlock. Sorry about the oblique angle, I'll try to take another when I'm at work tomorrow.

I haven't seen sockets like that on other Rushton boats, I'm not convinced it is not a later addition.tapered sockets would be very unusual, and pose a particular problem. If the shaft of the oarlock is not machined just right, they will rattle if too loose, and if too snug, they will lock up in use - just think of the Morse tapers used in lathes for example. I have only seen one set of rowlocks with tapered shafts, and the socket was fitted with a ball bearing insert.

The Morris oarlocks are very common - they were mass produced by outfits like Wilcox-Crittenden. I've got at least a couple of sets like these in different sizes, and will try to remember to photograph when at the shop.

Dan

Attachments

• oarlock.jpg
    oarlock.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
MGC said:
I have never rowed a canoe. I wonder if you row guide boat style?

Yes, you have to row cross-handed in order to have oars that are not too short. When rowlocks are mounted on canoes, they are usually seen mounted on the sponsons or on outrigger rowlocks. (That is not to say it can't be done with the locks mounted on the gunwales of a regular canoe).

A canoe set up well is a pleasure to row (but not as nice as a guideboat IMO...:cool: )

Dan

Thanks for the Pictures and Input!

Denis can describe the Rushton sockets better than I, as he did the measuring. We believe the sockets on the Rushton are original to the canoe, as the canoe was built as a rowing canoe, with a middle rowing-seat and two sets of sockets that fit the angles of the closed cherry gunwales. It was a special-order canoe that the original owners picked up directly from the factory. We bought the canoe from Ken Kelly, and this is the information we got from him (to the best of our recollection).

Kathy,

Can you post some mpre photos of the rowing set-up in general? What vintage is the canoe - i.e. is it J.H. Rushton, or Rushton, Inc.?

MGC. Thanks for the photo -what lovely lines. Hope we can find a proper set sometime.
Dan, Thank you too for the photos. If you look at the photo I took of the Rushton socket looking from the top (particularly if you enlarge the photo) you can actually see the taper.
I will take pictures of the Rushton tomorrow. I think it is a later Rushton -that is if I remember correctly. I'll also take photos of the shield.
Denis

Back