Not A Carleton, Is It???

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
Just picked up this canoe from a fella nearby (I love CraigsList - a freebe!)
When I saw the pics he sent I had thought it was a Carleton due to the heart shaped decks. But when I picked it up I saw the fat beaver tail stem... Can someone ID it please?
20181016_110925.jpg 20181016_112944.jpg 20181016_112925.jpg 20181016_111135.jpg 20181016_111339.jpg
Features:
16' long x 32-1/2" wide (about)
Fat 3-1/2" wide stem extending to the 4th cant rib, no ID markings
Mahogany heart shaped decks with deeply carved profile and hand grip, 13" long x 5" wide
Mahogany thwarts & seats
Original rail caps, replacement outer rail
Keel screws, centered, and through every rib
Brass stem bands

Nice looking deck eye - looks like its from the MGC collection.....
Those are stunning! Nothing titillates like enormous deck hardware boldly mounted dead center on a fine old mahogany deck. These are statements. When you pull up at the dock with these standing proud above the wood people take notice! I may need to try trading Howie the Veazie flag mounts I have for these....
The old girl is missing her tag...Howie is exploring it to see if he can find holes on the inside rail or on the stems...

Ok! Nice! 2018 has been good to me - first an Old Town Yankee, then a Rushton Indian, then an E.M.White, and now a Morris.

The little research I've done indicates that there were several Morris models: the Indian, and models A,B,C,D. Based on its 16' length and the overall shape can anyone speculate on what model it is?

Here's a pic of the ribs & inner rail area.
20181016_165026.jpg

I'm lucky - not stupid. Though I have been known to do stupid things once or twice... Guess I'm just cheap.

Well not all that lucky, one was a OT Yankee, not something very desirable. Of course the others do make up for it.

I've owned over 2 dozen canoes. The Yankee is my favorite paddling canoe. So far...

You see, we (my wife) values stability in a canoe and I love the look of big tumblehomes plus tall proud decks (which some criticize as 'sails'). So Yankees fit the bill. Otcas too. I've also enjoyed Penn Yan Rainbows and Owascos, but found the Yankee to be more stable, maneuverable, and lighter.

I haven't noticed the Yankee being 'wider' than the typical canoe. Though it does have a big tumblehome which would mask a wider bottom I suppose, so perhaps it is 'wider' as you say. In any case, speed isn't a big issue for us. We use nice wide paddles which helps solve the speed issue.

Was not the Yankee the livery canoe?

Yes, the Livery model was introduced in the 1913 catalog. It was renamed to the Yankee model in 1920 and stayed in the catalogs under that name until 1956. This 36 inch wide canoe remained popular so in 1957 it was renamed again and replaced the 34.5 inch wide Otca model. This canoe is still available today at https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/canoes/wooden-canoe/otca-16 as the 16 foot long Otca. Some people prefer stability over speed as Howie mentioned,

Benson

Last edited:
Back