Norumbega Ribbing Event

Steve Lapey

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Tomorrow, January 14th, 2006, a few Norumbega Chapter members will be gathering at Steve Lapey's workshop in Groveland, MA to partake in ribbing up a new canoe on the 16 foot form. Any other WCHAers in the area are welcome to drop by to get some hands-on experience in steam bending ribs. We will be firing up the steam box at about 9:30 am. Give me a call at 978 374 1104 for driving instructions.

Ribs

Here are a few photos of the ribbing event. My son Brendan was chief photographer (age 7). I'll let Steve elaborate on the canoe and form, but a very good way to spend a rainy Saturday morning in January.

Attachments

• SteveCookingRibs.jpg
    SteveCookingRibs.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC01174.JPG
    DSC01174.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 556
  • DSC01164.JPG
    DSC01164.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC01162.JPG
    DSC01162.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 572
Norumbega Ribbing

Many thanks to Norumbega members John and Brendan Fitzgerald, Tom Heys and Frank Repensek who came and helped rib up the new canoe.
This will be serial number 2 off of this mold. It will be 16 feet long, 31 inches wide and 12 inches deep, the lines were taken off a Peterborough cedar strip and it makes a very nice solo tripping canoe. Number one came out at almost seventy pounds - my fault, for various reasons- but I am aiming for closer to sixty pounds for this one. Next it will be time for planking it up.

A little info on your shop please

Hi Steve, I would have liked to make it to the ribbing, looks like a good time and I love donuts...sorry I missed it.
Nice pics Bredan, nice steady hand there.
Steve, is your shop an independent structure, like a shed? From the pictures, it looked like it. I'm trying to come up with a shed idea to work on canoes, along with some gear storage, maybe canoe storage etc. I have a nice shed for lawn/garden stuff, but a seperate shed to work on canoes would be great, the garage thing is a pain. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Robin

Robin, I know that Steve isn't a frequent contributor to the forum, so.... in his absence... His shop is free-standing. I think he said it was originally an 8 by 10 garden shed to which he added a 12 by 16 (or maybe 18) structure. He's got electricity and heat, and it's a great size for building a canoe. we had a fun time on Saturday. I learned quite a bit about the process and I look forward to the progress of, and perhaps contributing to, Steve's new canoe. Regards, Tom Heys

Back