Norumbega Chapter Winter Meeting Postponed until February 17

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Well, the Ground Hog lied. In case you haven't heard, the Winter Meeting has been bumped a week to let us all dig out.

The Norumbega Chapter’s annual winter meeting will be held on Sunday, February 17th, at the Hale Reservation in Westwood, MA.

Once again we have reserved the Trading Post Lodge for the afternoon, from noon until 5:00 pm. We will kick off with a lunch at noon and a social hour or so, a business session to discuss what we might want to do this coming paddling season, our plans for the upcoming Assembly in June and then more socializing sharing old wooden canoe news with our canoeing friends. Be sure to bring along any projects that you are working on or gadgets that you have found helpful in the shop or in the canoe to share with the members.

Speaking of lunch, we will be serving a beef stew and the makings for sandwiches and soft drinks, tea and coffee. It would be appreciated if members could bring along a salad and some dessert items, as we have done before. Let Steve know what you can do, please.

We have some exciting door prizes this year, and, as usual we will have a drawing for these prizes.

Again this year we will have a Norumbega Book Sale. Bring in any old books that you have kicking around on canoeing, camping, wilderness exploring, etc. that you have read and probably won’t be reading again and we will sort them out, price them, and put them out for sale, the proceeds to go to the Chapter to help keep future dues down to a minimum. This is Brad Chamberlin’s idea, he has a bunch of books to bring and Steve has gathered up a few that he can spare, so, see what you can bring. I expect to come home with more than I came with.

To get to the Hale Reservation, use Exit 16B off Route I-95 (Route 128), Westwood, and follow Route 109 west to the fourth right, Dover Road. Follow Dover Road to the third right, Carby Street. Continue on Carby Street an eight of a mile to the main entrance of the Hale Reservation. The Trading Post Lodge is almost a mile into the reservation, on the right. There is a good sized parking lot across the street from the lodge.

I am looking forward to seeing all old and new Norumbega members at the meeting!

Well, they are getting more snow than here and we have plenty as shown below. It usually takes several storms to build up enough snow for the railing on our deck to disappear but it happened overnight with this one. The wind has occasionally blown some snow inside under our garage doors in the past but this one has made drifts that are over six inches high. It is fortunate that most of my canoes are hung from the garage ceiling. Stay warm,

Benson

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Hello Benson,
That snow gets in with the door closed, or is that a result of opening the door?

MackyM

Here in NH we got 24" which is the second all time record snowfall for the area from one blizzard. Highest was recorded in 1888 with 27.6 " Took me 3 hours to clear it with snowblower with some more to do tomorrow (thankful that the meeting got posponed but I wasn't venturing out if it wasn't anyway!!) Looking forward to next sunday & the re-scheduled meeting.

Here in Milton, pretty close to Hale, we got a good two feet. Top 2/3rds is fluffy, but below that it was getting likely soggy concrete by the time I finished shoveling out yesterday at 1 pm. I was skeptical the TV “forecasters” were calling it right as sensational weather news is about all that gets people watching TV news these day, but it lived up to billing. Banning traffic was a commendable approach. All I saw on the road were a few plows and a few of the usual self-appointed “first responders.” My local gas station was sucked dry by Saturday at 11 a.m. They sold 1000 gallons of gas in 4 hours on Saturday.

The Governor wouldn't let me out to get the stew fixin's anyway.

That snow gets in with the door closed, or is that a result of opening the door?

That snow blew in through a crack in the bottom of the door that is about a half inch wide. The wind was so strong and the snow flakes so small that it filled the areas behind most of the window screens as well. My office had some similar drifting outside as shown below. This was a very odd storm,

Benson

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 350
i live in roslindale which is a 20 minute ride to hale and we got 28-1/2" didnt get plowed out until sunday and it took a front end loader to do it, was going to take my old fibreglass mansfield canoe sledding but it just sank in the snow, i would have taken pictures but this is something im not going to want to remember

Fitz i will see you sunday, dont know if i will be able to get the chestnut out but i definitly will have everything else with me and the chestnut paddles for the keewaydin project.

Back