NH Assembly resource people?

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I'm working on developing the program for next summer's Assembly in New Hampshire. The theme is "Guide Canoes and Guide Culture".

So far, I have quite a few contacts with Maine guides, but few from NH, VT, NY and places beyond (Midewest/Minn/Wis, NW, deep south)?

Does anyone know a working or retired guide who would be a good presenter/workshop leader on the topic of their choice?

Anyone know how to contact Gary Hodgkins, the now retired ranger who patrolled the area around Paul Smiths -and usually showed up at Assembly? He always had interesting stories to share.

define "guide canoes and guide culture"

Your post hits upon a good point; that what is thought of "guide canoes and guide culture" probably varies from region to region within the USA and Canada. I am a midwesterner and was somewhat unclear what this topic meant within the wooden canoe community.
Personally, I consider my canoe a "guide canoe". It is a 1955 Joe Seliga that was built for and used by "Charlie Guides" at the Charles L Sommers Wilderness Canoe Base in Ely, MN from 1955 to 1979. It has taken scouts and their guides on over 200 wilderness canoe trips in the Boundary Waters and Quetico. If the topic covers this type of "guide culture" I would contact WCHA member/chapter president Dan Lindberg, a former "Charlie Guide".
John Schnettler

John,

I need to jump in quick here,

I was the WCHA MN Chapter POC, though now that I am living and working in Mich, I need to pass those duties on to someone else. (I think Barry is going to resume it.)

But, I am not a Sommers Charlie guide, and don't have any connection to Sommers, other then a love of Seliga canoes, from which I created and maintain a log of Joe's Build Records.

Not that the thought of paddling all summer in ther BW/Q isn't a nice thought, but I haven't been able to do it.

Dan

Back