Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

New wooden canoe owner in IL

Discussion in 'Guestbook' started by Bryan T. Johnston, May 21, 2019.

1. Bryan T. Johnston

Bryan T. Johnston New Member

picked up an old wood canoe from my next door neighbor this weekend. Hasn't been in the water in around 40+ years. It’s an old town 16 footer. It looks like its in excellent shape for its age, anything i need to check before i put it in the water?

2. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

Check to see if they still have to be state registered in Illinois and wearing the appropriate state sticker. The last time it was in the water, that stuff wasn't required.

3. OP
    OP
    Bryan T. Johnston

here's a photo of it. Can anyone provide details?

Attached Files:

Erik Rolle likes this.
  4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

It looks like an Old Town. More details may be available if you provide the serial number. The information at https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/791/ may help you find this number if you aren't sure where to look. A water test isn't likely to hurt it.

Benson

5. OP
    OP
    Bryan T. Johnston

THANKS!...I'll pull it down tonight and take a look.

6. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

No state stickers are required for Illinois any more! Unless you put a motor or sail on it, then they get you.

Whereabouts in Illinois? I'm up in the NE corner...

7. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

There is only one other requirement for launching. You must take pictures to share with us. We like pictures. :cool:

8. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

Interesting...where has it been all these years? It does not look like it's been used much. What did your neighbor tell you about it...is he the original owner?
    Do post the serial number.