New to me canoe

czahnle

SLBC3209
A friend of mine is giving me what appears to be an Arrowhead canoe. They grew up in Maine with OT canoes and his family had owned, used, and restored several. Work sent the family to St. Louis at some point and that is where this one was procured. It was one last canoe he was gong to get to, but never did. My friend asked if I wanted it and I said yes.
At some point in the near future we will make the trip to MO to bring the canoe back to IL. In the meantime he will try to get the the serial numbers and such so we can chase it down.

I have a few pics I can share at this time. I look forward to putting the work in to bringing it back to life and get it back on the water. The pictures are not the greatest and I will supply more once I can get near it.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 616
  • canoe1.jpeg
    canoe1.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 564
Good morning, The donor of the canoe sent me a few pics of the stems to help identify the year it was possibly built. stems say 3209 17.

Serial1.JPG Serial2.JPG

The photo tells me the canoe is 17 feet long, but not much else. WE like photos! Post shots that show the stem profile, deck, seats, thwarts - anything that provides clues to the manufacturer. Is there a metal tag or a decal, even one not entirely readable? A builders in the midwest were Racine, Thompson and Meramec, but there were others. Tom McCloud

There is enough there to suggest that it is a St. Louis Boat and Canoe craft. There are quite a few clues including the arrowhead decks, the carry thwarts, and half rib construction etc... the fact that it's located out that a way lines up pretty well with that... what is unique about yours is that it is a sponson canoe.
There are some build records for the canoes produced by SLBC. As noted by Michael, Wally Hauck has been very helpful dating some of this builder boats. As a point of reference he identified a canoe with a 22 hundred SN as having been built in the mid-1940's.
Here on this sites landing page you can navigate to a section about manufacturers. Here is a link to SLBC from that page.
www.wcha.org/content/st-louis-meramec-canoe-company

Thank you everyone. I did speak to Wally a few weeks ago and I recently sent him a few pics of the serial numbers found. The canoe is not too far from where he is located and he stated we could stop by with the canoe so he could take a look at it as well. That is still the plan when we decide to pick the canoe up and transport back north.

Good morning all, spoke to Wally yesterday and he seems to think the canoes build date is around 1950-51 time frame. No date set yet to pick the canoe up and stop by his shop for him to peek at. Hope to upload some better pics and such from that visit then.

I agree based on the chart of known St. Louis serial numbers and dates shown below. Please post the date for yours here if Wally can find one. Thanks,

Benson

St-Louis-Canoe-Chart.jpg

Good afternoon all. My friend delivered the Canoe to me vs. picking it up. It was a rush decision as his mother died and the house was selling so items had to move quickly. Anyway, here are more pictures of the Canoe. I did wind up getting the 2008 issue featuring the story on the builder. It is a great read. image0.jpeg image01.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image11.jpeg image33.jpeg image44.jpeg image55.jpeg image77.jpeg

Back