New project

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
Just picked up this 1930 17' Otca AA with a much later sailing rig. Canvas is a bit rough but the wood is almost pristine. Only about 2" rot on bow deck and gunwales. no other damage.
Benson, when did that style of sail rig come along? I particularly like the ring on the mast seat, a 2" pipe thread floor flange. Maybe that is why there was no mast with it, It just got ground away like in a pencil sharpener. IMG_0018.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpg

when did that style of sail rig come along? I particularly like the ring on the mast seat, a 2" pipe thread floor flange. Maybe that is why there was no mast with it, It just got ground away like in a pencil sharpener.

Most of the sail rig appears to be from the 1970s. The mast seat is the style that was used from the late 1930s to the early 1960s. The mast seat ring/flange is clearly not from the factory. I understand that the correct mast seat ring is available from some plumbing supply companies but I've never seen a threaded one used before. Nice find,

Benson

I figured the aluminum gudgeon, pintals, and leeboard brackets would date it.I like the clamps that hold the leeboard thwart to the gunwales better than the old brass L bolts. Just the 6 brass bolts with finger nuts made it a find.

Back