Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

New paddle

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by pklonowski, Aug 28, 2007.

1. pklonowski

pklonowski Unrepentant Canoeist

Attached is a pic of a paddle I finally finished... It's a walnut shaft, white cedar strips leftover from building my solo canoe (might be a red cedar one in there...), with maple outer edge strips. The grip has maple accent strips next to the shaft, and walnut outer parts.

I tried the light rope (1/4") wrap around the edges, but didn't like the way it looked, even before I 'glassed the blade, so it came off, & I used a lighter (1/8") rope. I mixed a bit of epoxy, put the rope into it, worked it a bit to get the epoxy into the rope, then taped in into position.

The finished product doesn't look nearly as bad as I'd feared -- in fact, I don't find it all that bad. Might be that the lighter-colored blade parts blend in with the rope? I'll guess that, for a walnut blade, I'd want to darken the rope, with walnut sawdust in the epoxy. Hopefully, I wouldn't put enough sawdust into it to make it too viscous to saturate the rope... probably a fine line to walk. Maybe get the epoxy into the rope, then dust the rope with the sawdust, then stick it on the paddle... ?

It's R&D... gotta love it.:)

Attached Files:

2. HarryA

HarryA woodwrecker

Nice paddle

Good job! Looks real nice.

In Gidmark's "Building a Birchbark Canoe" he writes about
    dyeing root lashings with raspberries, strawberries, chokecherries,
    and blueberries. As I recall they put the lashings into the boiling syrup.
    Should work for nylon also?

I have in mind to use graphite to get a black color. I coated the
    bottom of my canoe with epoxy mixed with silica and graphite to get
    a hard smooth surface. One could use it for the last coating on the
    nylon while masking the blade with tape I would think.

3. OP
    OP
    pklonowski

Thanks!

Masking the blade faces is a great idea -- saves sanding after the fact, as well.

4. Prairiepaddler

Prairiepaddler Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Very nice, Paul! I think the rope adds to the look. Maybe I'll try something like that on my next one.

5. OP
    OP
    pklonowski

Thanks! It's sort of growing on me... has kind of a "halo effect" in the right light...

But my cousin, for whom I made it, thinks it's too pretty to be used as a paddle, and she's going to hang it on a wall. I told her it's actually quite durable, with the rope around the edge, & the 'glass laminate...

geez...

6. Prairiepaddler

Prairiepaddler Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Yes, it's funny how people think a pretty paddle shouldn't be used...I always tell them, "I only make working paddles."