New member from Wales, UK

Happyfish

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi, my name is Nigel and I live in Pembrokeshire, Wales in the UK. I have been paddling sea kayaks for many years and open canoes for the last 6 years.

I have just bought a Chestnut wood canvas canoe that I think is a Deer. It was imported into the UK around 5 years ago and may have been owned formally by a member on this forum (so I have been told). It has not been used that much by the person who had it imported. It is in very good condition but needs some tender loving care. I want to keep it as original as possible and would appreciate any help you can give me.

There is a Serial number in the boat that I think says 3 28(?) 73 7283. I have posted a picture of this below. The Chestnut decal states "Oromocto". The boat is 15' 7" long, 36" wide with 1.5" ribs. Can anyone confirm the model and the date of manufacture?

I was told that the boat is covered with PVC canvas and while this is in very good condition the paint has rubbed away in a few places. Should I paint this and if so with what paint or should I leave it alone.

Just another question if you don't mind. I am used to kneeling but as this boat does not have kneeling thwart, should I lower one of the thwarts to help with kneeling or do I use something else for support, a bag for example.

Thanks for any help you can provide
Nigel (Happyfish)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the WCHA!

For paddling solo and kneeling, many of us find turning the canoe around and leaning against the rear edge of the bow seat does the trick – especially if you are carrying any gear which you can place so as to trim the canoe a bit better.

If you want to be more in the center of the canoe, you might look at Tom Seavey’s leather saddle seat –
http://azlandtraditions.com/leather_Saddleseat.html

And for some other do-it-yourself ideas along the same lines, check out http://paddlemaking.blogspot.com/2012/01/leather-solo-seat.html

Lowering one of the existing thwarts is possible, of course. But if you were to just hang the thwart lower from longer bolts with spacers, you would lose the structural support the thwart provides. I would guess that you could install stringers on the sides of the canoe, to which you could firmly attach the thwart.

Greg

Greg

Thank you for your welcome and advice. I will not alter the thwarts and consider lowering the seats.

Does anyone have information concerning the serial number?

Nigel

Does anyone have information concerning the serial number?

No records for the Chestnut Canoe Company are known to survive.

Chestnut move to the Oromocto factory in 1974, and closed it 1979. Since your decal is marked for Oromocto, we can say with some certainty it was built 1974-1979. It is a Deer model. The 1978 catalog is the only one from that time period that mentions PVC canvas, though that may not necessarily mean anything.

Dan

Many thanks Dan

Would you be able to tell from the picture below whether it is covered in pvc

image.jpg

Maybe it's a bad picture. It's definitely a cloth. The picture should show that the surface layer has worn away in some places though the majority of it is in good condition.

Hi Jamie

It's a really nice boat and in very good condition. Thanks for the help with the decal. The cover is unchanged and still pvc and in very good condition and it will stay untouched until it needs recovering. At the moment I am sanding back the gunnels and will lightly wire wool the inside and revarnised it.

Nigel

Nigel,

Wire wool or steel wool as it is also called is not good to use on boats. Tiny steel bits will lodge in cracks and eventually rust causing nasty little black spots. Any other type of non-ferrous spun metal, brass, copper or bronze will avoid this problem.

R.C.

Nigel,

Wire wool or steel wool as it is also called is not good to use on boats. Tiny steel bits will lodge in cracks and eventually rust causing nasty little black spots. Any other type of non-ferrous spun metal, brass, copper or bronze will avoid this problem.

R.C.

Thanks for the information. I haven't used any on the boat yet. Would you recommend keying the varnish with fine sandpaper instead?

Finally finished sanding the Deer. I have fitted a yoke and lowered the seats by a few inches. Five coats of Epifanes and its ready to paddle. Hopefully I have attached some pictures below

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You did good Nigel- now make a nice set of 'floor boards'- they really help protect that nice varnish.

Back