Need Help Sourcing Copper Nails

greatgray

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone know of a good source of broad-head copper clenching nails? I am replacing all essentially all of the ribs in my Peterborough-style ship-lapped cedar strip boat and am in need of upwards of 2500 1" copper clenching nails. As the old nails seemed to be simply copper common nails, I ordered some from Jamestown Distributors, but to get a nail head diameter that approximated the head of the old nails, I needed to go to a 1 1/4" nail. Not only are these too long, but at 14 gauge they are pretty stout. Seems like I need something other than simply copper commons. Any suggestions?

Tom

Walter Walker got his nails from Canadian Tack & Nail. The website hasnt been updated for a long, long time, but their nails are almost dead ringers for the original ones. The point is a bit different (two sided as opposed to the original 4) but that didnt seem to bother Walter or anyone that owns his canoes.

Darryl

If that doesn't work out, you could try Standard Fastenings, New Bedford, Mass. I get a lot of stuff fromt them...

Actually, I got them from Canadian Tack & Nail. They were extremely helpful and the nails are exactly what they need. Thanks to all.

Back