Need help identifying this canoe

Norm Hein

Canoe Codger
carry thwat.JPG deck on unkn.JPG full view unknown.JPG rib tops unkn.JPG side unk.JPG stem unkn.JPG unkn decks.JPG
I picked this canoe up yesterday and have no idea what it is. There are no numbers or tags that I can see. So here is what I do know about it.
Length: 14' 9"
Width: 32 3/4" to outside of ribs. Slight tumblehome.
Depth: 11"
side unk.JPG

full view unknown.JPG

Decks are 8 1/2" long 3 1/8" wide butt jointed to top of stem.
deck on unkn.JPG
unkn decks.JPG

Seats: Stern 21 5/8" long 4 3/8" wide at center
Bow 27 7/8" long 4 3/8 wide at center
Attached to seats hangers on the sides of the canoe not the rails.
I'll have to get a picture

Ribs: Sixty two of them 1" wide 5/16" thick
rib tops unkn.JPG
carry thwat.JPG

Planking: 1/8" thick 3 1/2" wide 1/8" gap between all of them. WRC?
stem unkn.JPG

Inside rails: 9/16" wide 7/8 deep
Outside rails: 11/16" thick 7/8" deep. Notched for rips and canvas.

So my rookie guess is it is Canadian.
Please let me know what you think and if you need any other information.

Thanks,
Norm

Last edited:
David M suggested it may be an early Penn Yan Carry........It look like it but with leaning thwarts
index.php

I was able to find the FX of the stamped number on the stem but no numbers yet. I will wait till I bring it in to restore it to try and uncover the rest. So with all of that I am guessing it is a 15' Penn Yan Carry.
Here are a couple of pictures of the leaning thwarts. Which I really dig.
FX thwart 2.JPG FX thwart 3.JPG FX thwart.JPG
I would like to see some others out there that have been restored if anyone has any.
Thanks,
Norm

Bit of an update. I have been talking to TJ at PennYanBoats.com and he relayed to me that the Leaning Thwarts (or non-seat thwarts as he called them) was the only "seat" option in the 1940 year model. He did say though that the company probably would have installed them in years to follow if asked to. I'm sure most of you already know about them but they have been very quick to help at PennYanBoats.com and would recommend them to you.

These thwarts appear to have been the standard during 1940 but a note in the lower left corner of the catalog page indicated that seats were an available option for $3 as shown below.

Benson

page-27.jpg

Back