Mystery Canoe

Chris Lorenz

I received this canoe in 1987 and used it on lakes in Maine for a few years before the duct tape I put on the canvas was not sufficient to keep out the water (I was in my 20's ;-) and it went on display in the barn for 30 years. Now it is time to restore it and use it or pass it on. I read lots of forum posts on how to find serial numbers on stems and identifying plaques, but there are none of these that I can find. I would love to hear if anyone has an idea of the maker or age or model as I am a neophyte here. It has an unusual type of half rib on the bottom between the ribs, wider than most others I have seen in my research. I will add the measurements here in case that helps and attach some photos. It is 15 feet long, 171 inches from from the front of the stem bands. 37 inches wide, 13 inches deep at the center, 21 " at the stern and 22 1/2 at the bow. It weighs 65 pounds. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Attachments

• WoodCanvasCanoe.jpg
    WoodCanvasCanoe.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 353
It definitely has "arrow-head deck and the double ribbing (that) are characteristics of the Picard canoes." I could not find the serial number. " Since 1967 the canoes are stamped with a serial number on the inside face of the inner rail near the seats on both sides of the canoe." So apparently if it is a Huron it may be older. Thanks for the insight.

Do you or the canoe have a connection to the Temagami area (Ontario) or any of the summer camps there? The lashing on the center thwart looks like their characteristic way of attaching paddles for a portage yoke.

I do not have a connection there. A friend of mine was given this canoe by her father and she gave it to me. His name was Charlie Simonds and he was living near the CT shore when I knew him. He was an active outdoorsman, but I do not know if he had a connection to that area of Ontario.

Back