My name is Dave...

Hummy

Canoe Dude
...and I am a canoeahlic. Hi board, I've been paddling off and on during my life, but now that I am retiring I am considering taking on a wood canoe restoration, which of course led me to this group. Currently I have a simple OT Guide 147 for everyday use. I look forward to spending time here and absorbing your experience and knowledge.

Hi Dave,
We are canoeaholics too....
Welcome to our addiction.
Be aware that we promote this addiction, but understand that marriages have been broken, social and other obligations have been ignored, and bank accounts have been pillaged.
Best of luck...
Dave

Welcome, Dave.

Tell us more about your canoe... have you posted the serial number so that someone here can look it up and we all can see how it was "born"? We love pictures, too!

Kathy

At the moment I've only had/have modern boats, however I'm looking at this one tomorrow. $_57.jpg

At this point I really don't know. The seller states an 18' OT, but I am in private dialog with another member here who advises its Canadian, and it has been molested in the past. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and take some of my own pix. I have pix from the seller, is it OK to put a few more up on this board?

Diamond headed bolts are usually, but not always, a sign of an Old Town. They could easily be replacements, and other parts of the canoe (seats, thwarts, and decks) do not look very Old Town. Check for a serial number where both stems end on the floor of the canoe -- if there is a number, photograph it and send it on here. And any photos you take will be welcome here.

Diamond headed bolts are usually, but not always, a sign of an Old Town. They could easily be replacements, and other parts of the canoe (seats, thwarts, and decks) do not look very Old Town. Check for a serial number where both stems end on the floor of the canoe -- if there is a number, photograph it and send it on here. And any photos you take will be welcome here.

Whatever it is, that canoe needs some work -- from the photos, nothing out of the ordinary, but work nonetheless. It is not in "drive away" condition. Seats, thwarts, decks, gunwales (both inside and outside) and canvas obviously need attention -- replacement and/or repair. Water standing in the hull (unless it was taken out for photos while it was raining) is not a sign of good care, and neither are the broken thwarts and cracked deck. Check very carefully for rot (yes, cedar can rot), and some of the wood (stems, thwarts, seats, gunwales, decks) are not going to be cedar. Check very carefully for cracked or broken ribs and planking. If you are willing to restore/repair this canoe, it could eventually be a nice canoe -- if the price is right.

If you’re in Massachusetts you might want to come out to the Norumbega Chapter’s Annual Winter Meeting at Hale Reservation in Westwood on Sunday, February 8th. This will be about our 25th annual winter meeting. One thing we do a good job of is helping others find the canoes of their dreams. (The one you are looking at looks like one of the rougher Canadians, Tremblay or something: more my idea of a nightmare in that state than a dream.)

Thanx all! I'm going move the rest of my search and results to a different thread, cya all there...

Back